Win XP install CD's with Dell Laptops

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
October 20, 2004 8:38:07 AM

Hello,

I would like to purchase a Dell Inspiron. My question is as follows:

- Do Dell ship the windows XP CD's?? or do they put the "factory image" on
a hidden partition?

The reason I ask is because if I wanted to upgrade the HDD (or the HDD
failed) how would I re-install the OS?

Thanks
Musty
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 12:15:28 PM

They give you CD's. I got my XP PRO CD When I bought Inspiron ..

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<PYldd.20624$Rf4.3821@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to purchase a Dell Inspiron. My question is as follows:
>
> - Do Dell ship the windows XP CD's?? or do they put the "factory image" on
> a hidden partition?
>
> The reason I ask is because if I wanted to upgrade the HDD (or the HDD
> failed) how would I re-install the OS?
>
> Thanks
> Musty
October 20, 2004 8:04:55 PM

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:p Yldd.20624$Rf4.3821@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to purchase a Dell Inspiron. My question is as follows:
>
> - Do Dell ship the windows XP CD's?? or do they put the "factory image"
> on
> a hidden partition?
>
> The reason I ask is because if I wanted to upgrade the HDD (or the HDD
> failed) how would I re-install the OS?
>
> Thanks
> Musty

Related resources
October 21, 2004 4:08:24 AM

Thanks for confirming - I went ahead and ordered an Inspiron

Other brands like Fujitsu or IBM wont give the CDs. Seems crazy to me. They
lost my business based on this (and the fact that Dell had crazy low prices
yesterday!)

Thanks
Musty.

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:p Yldd.20624$Rf4.3821@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to purchase a Dell Inspiron. My question is as follows:
> >
> > - Do Dell ship the windows XP CD's?? or do they put the "factory image"
> > on
> > a hidden partition?
> >
> > The reason I ask is because if I wanted to upgrade the HDD (or the HDD
> > failed) how would I re-install the OS?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Musty

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 21, 2004 4:08:25 AM

It is mandatory that companies selling PCs with Windows give you a CD
with the Windows installation. It's part of their agreement with
Microsoft. All you have to do is call and ask, they will ship it for
free to you.

My IBM didn't have a install CD. They sent me one without complaining a
bit. So I could delete the partition with the installation image.

Andre

Musty wrote:
> Thanks for confirming - I went ahead and ordered an Inspiron
>
> Other brands like Fujitsu or IBM wont give the CDs. Seems crazy to me. They
> lost my business based on this (and the fact that Dell had crazy low prices
> yesterday!)
>
> Thanks
> Musty.
October 21, 2004 7:33:41 AM

Strange, because I am the previous owner of a Fujitsu (bought a year ago) -
I called and asked them to send me the CD's. They would not do it. I asked
them: "What if my HDD crashes?"

Their response: "You can send it in under warranty". Thats fine, for the
first year, but after that it cost $150+shipping to have the same thing
done!!

Fujitsu make good laptops, but their policy on not giving the customer OS
CD's stinks! They've lost my business because of this.

"Andre Costi Nacul" <nacul@ics.uci.edu> wrote in message
> It is mandatory that companies selling PCs with Windows give you a CD
> with the Windows installation. It's part of their agreement with
> Microsoft. All you have to do is call and ask, they will ship it for
> free to you.
>
> My IBM didn't have a install CD. They sent me one without complaining a
> bit. So I could delete the partition with the installation image.
>
> Andre
>
> Musty wrote:
> > Thanks for confirming - I went ahead and ordered an Inspiron
> >
> > Other brands like Fujitsu or IBM wont give the CDs. Seems crazy to me.
They
> > lost my business based on this (and the fact that Dell had crazy low
prices
> > yesterday!)
> >
> > Thanks
> > Musty.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 25, 2004 7:36:42 PM

When I wanted a spare Windows CD, I first called Microsoft. They said I
should call IBM, since they must provide you a CD if you request, part
of the OEM agreement. The Microsoft guy said that if IBM refused to send
me a CD, I should contact Microsoft again, and file a complain. In that
case, Microsoft would send me a CD and go after IBM.

!