Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Samsung SSD 830 64GB is the mSATA cable used to connect to 6gb/s?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Samsung SSD
  • Connection
  • Cable
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2012 12:49:23 AM

I was wondering if the mSATA cable that came with my motherboard will connect the samsung ssd to the 6g/s port.

Is the Samsung SSD 830 6gb/s or 3gb/s?

My motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has 4 3gb/s ports and 2 6gb/s port i intend to use the 2 6gb/s port for two samsung ssd in raid 1 and have the 4 3gb/s for 4 WD RE4 black hard drives in raid 10 later on in the near future.

At the moment i will have one ssd and one WD RE4 and later on add more.

Is the Samsung SSD 830 capable of 6gb/s? also raid?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : samsung ssd 830 64gb msata cable connect 6gb

August 5, 2012 1:01:38 AM

Why are you going to mirror the SSDs?

And yes, that drive is compatible with SATA III (6gb/s).
m
l

Best solution

a c 314 G Storage
August 5, 2012 1:36:44 AM

The Samsung 830 is a SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd that is compatible with your mother.

Use a standard SATA cable that came with your motherboard to connect the ssd to a SATA 3 6Gb/s header connector on your motherboard. The two white headers/connectors on your motherboard are for SATA 3 6gb/s ssd's.

Do not connect the ssd to the blue SATA 2 3Gb/s headers/connectors on the motherboard.

The advertised 6Gb/s is only a theoretical maximum used in advertising. Due to several factors a SATA 3 ssd cannot achieve 6Gb/s. I noticed you linked to a 64GB ssd. The smaller the capacity the lower the performance, especially write performance. That's why companies submit their large capacity ssd for technical reviews. You can expect synthetic benchmarks with Sequential Read/Write Speeds of 520 MB/s / 160 MB/s.

I agree with po1nted. No need for a RAID array unless you are doing something very very special.
August 5, 2012 3:13:41 AM

Best answer selected by spade9.
m
l
!