Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 930 temp high even with N620 + MX-2

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooler Master
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 12, 2010 11:19:42 PM

I have built a new system last week as follows

i7 930 2.8Ghz
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R (rev 2)
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 6GB/1600 (@ default 1066)
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770
4 sata HDD's + 2 DVD-RW

PSU: Cooler Master extreme power plus 650W
Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper N620 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Chassis : Cooler Master CM 690

My CPU temp remain at 46-47 C when Idle and at full load (using prime95 for 5 mins) it reaches 75 ....

Before using the cooler it was 53 idle and 80 load.

The thermal paste i applied is perfectly spread (I checked and removed/applied several times) but no big diff I found.
The same MX-2 I applied on my Sapphire ATI Card which dropped its temp considerably upto 8-9C (Earlier it was 60, now its 51 idle)

Now the few ques arises here are

1. Is it bec of my room temp. Which hovers around 30-31 C ? I checked the temps by switchin on the AC of my room @ 18C but the diff was only of 3-4C.

2. Is it bec of my PSU which can't draw as current for the cpu (or whatever, I cant say) ?

3. Is it bec of my chassis? (Unlikely, I thnk as it has good ventilation , 1 hdd fan, 1 top mounted fan for intake and 2 fans for outflow)

Plz help me decrease temps. Without which I cant even thnk of overclocking

Anupam

More about : 930 temp high n620

a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 11:44:01 PM

The intel processors run much higher. Your Fine. However, don't check your thermal paste after you apply, it can cause air bubbles, which will lessen its performance.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 11:50:33 PM

Take out the top intake and see if it helps, also make sure the heatsink is correctly installed.

Your temps aren't horribly bad however, you don't have the best cooler, and the i7-9XX do run hot.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 13, 2010 12:01:25 AM

Computerrock1 said:
The intel processors run much higher. Your Fine. However, don't check your thermal paste after you apply, it can cause air bubbles, which will lessen its performance.


I jus placed a grain sized compound and press heatsink and removed to see how much it spread.

But the issue is I didnt see any significant diff in temp as compared my stock cooler after installing N690
m
0
l
August 13, 2010 12:05:29 AM

Timop said:
Take out the top intake and see if it helps, also make sure the heatsink is correctly installed.

Your temps aren't horribly bad however, you don't have the best cooler, and the i7-9XX do run hot.



Actually the top intake was installed after this temp issue. But it made no diff.

Reg N690 , many reviews done using i7 920 and they say it lowers temps upto 30-32C
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 12:15:27 AM

anupam_luv said:
Actually the top intake was installed after this temp issue. But it made no diff.

Reg N690 , many reviews done using i7 920 and they say it lowers temps upto 30-32C

I would say more like ~20, but anyways.
Is the back-plate installed? Try rescrewing in the screws, remember they are threaded backwards so make sure to tighten it. Could be the HSF is making poor contact with the CPU.

Also, you did peel off the plastic sheet off of the heatsinks base right? :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
August 13, 2010 12:56:42 AM

Timop said:
I would say more like ~20, but anyways.
Is the back-plate installed? Try rescrewing in the screws, remember they are threaded backwards so make sure to tighten it. Could be the HSF is making poor contact with the CPU.


Yea , backplate is installed, screws are tightened to it fullest, no ques of heasink making poor contact wid cpu


Quote:
Also, you did peel off the plastic sheet off of the heatsinks base right? :pt1cable: 

Be green... Say no to Plastic.... :non: 
m
0
l
August 13, 2010 1:01:35 AM

I also tried overclockin it via easytune 6 @ 3.5 but when I ran prime95 and monitored on hwmonitor I saw the VCore passed 1.40V and suddenly my pc rebooted

Btw, Im goin to replace the current PSU with corsair TX850 next week. lets see if it makes any diff....
m
0
l
August 13, 2010 9:55:17 PM

Today I reseated my cooler and re-applied the MX-2 paste again (for the 6th time in last month) but no gain. Temps still remain at 46-47 (Core0- 48, Core1-45, Core2-50, Core3-46)... All the bios setting are default (Gigabyte ga-x58-ud3r).

Last hope, change of PSU (to Corsair TX850) or I will hv 2 live with it.
m
0
l
!