jonjohnson95

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I am new to the "pc building world" and i recently finished building my gaming rig, in which i have an OCZ 60 gb ssd and WD hdd, and the system runs well. no problems so far(technically). the only issue I have is that the ssd is clearly too small im almost completely out of space and i am unable to access the hdd. its being detected in the bios, and even in the operating system if i do a little searching i can find it, but i cant access/download anything to it.
Is there anything i can do to access both the ssd and hdd at the same time?

with new ssd and hard drives...they have to have a partion on them then have to be formated. with newer version of windows they have drive system tools. most drives now with a partion on them. most time under windows disk management all you have to do is tell windows to give the new drive a drive letter. a lot of people still use disk tools from boot cs like hiren's boot cd.
where they boot from the cd tools and do fdisk and format in a dos window not in windows. then when the os boots it should auto set a drive letter for the new drive. when the hdd is showing up inside of windows. look to see what games and downloads and music and videos you can move to the slower drive. I have a 128g os boot drive. I only have office and two main games on the ssd. most of my mmo online games are installed to the hard drive. (when you install a new program do a custom install and set the path to your hd.) ie D:\games....D:|downloads...D:|music. the more items that you move the more room the ssd will have.

cchartsell

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
Steps to partition and format HDD for Windows 7:
1. right click 'My Computer'
2. click 'Manage'
3. click 'Disk Management' on the left hand side
4. in the bottom graphical portion you will see your drive and it will most likely say 'Unallocated'
5. right-click somewhere on the unallocated space and choose 'New Simple Volume'
(the simple volume wizard will pop up and click 'next')
6. In the specify volume size step, click 'next' to confirm the size of the partition.
*NOTE*(the size will be displayed in MB) field should equal the size listed as the maximum disk space in MB. This means that you are making a partition that equals the entire size of the hard drive.
7. next it will ask you to give it a letter path, which ever one comes up as default is fine unless you just really want a different letter
8. it will prompt you to format the disk after you have made the partition, so go ahead and do that
*NOTE*when formatting for 'File System' choose NTFS unless you have a specific need to use a different one.
9. allocation unit size = default
10. uncheck the 'Perform quick format' so that standard format is done and make sure that 'Enable file and folder compression' is also unchecked
11. click 'OK' and click 'OK' again erase all data blah blah blah and it will start to go

there ya go, 11 simple steps :)

*NOTE*Windows 7 does NOT notify you that the drive format is complete.

The format will be complete when the status changes to 'Healthy' which will happen a few seconds after it gets to 100%

P.S.
If you need further detail on how to do this check out these web pages.
Format HDD
Partition HDD