Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS Striker II Extreme

Last response: in Motherboards
March 9, 2011 2:52:24 PM

Hello Community:, I'm here today to present, once again, a very popular subject, even from it's initial trouble-shooting techniques and suggestions about this very popular problem with the ASUS Striker II Extreme (and some others with the nVidia 790i chipset), referencing the incompatibility issues with several different type of RAM(memory) and their perspective sizes and shapes. I have read through hours and hours of many forums, and also consult the manufacturers of both ASUS and a few memory manufacturers about this very common problem. There appears to be several different "fixes" and adjustments for different types of memory trying to be utilized. And there are many types that can be used, so I'll just hit on mine specifically, and maybe someone out there in guru land can assist me with this ever popular problem.

I guess it would help to know my specs, so here they are:
MoBo: ASUS Striker II Extreme(rev. 1.02) with BIOS rev. 1402(latest)
CPU: Intel Q9650 Core 2 Extreme (3.0GHz) (would love to try to OC this once I get the memory problem resolved)
Cooling: air-cooling with the best: ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Memory: 2 kits of OCZ model OCZ3P16004GK (which unfortunately I got stuck with, and is not in ASUS's stupid QVL)
Graphics: 2 BFG nVidia GeForce GTS 260 (running SLI)
HDD: 2 WD WD10EARS 1TB (RAID)
PSU: Antec 1200w
Sound: SB Audigy 2
DVD+-RW-Blu-ray combo ASUS (doesn't really matter in this scenario)

I think I covered most all of it:
anyways, Having the typical problem with the memory configuration, similar to most of other peoples, in that we can run a set of 2, but not 2 sets of 4, totalling 8GHz. I have tried for hours and hours with many online scenarios similar to mine. No luck :( 

Has anyone out there have a rig similar to mine that has actually got it to run with this memory or something close to it?

I really do not want to have to buy different memory DIMMs, but if I have to, to get this rig to operate and try some OC'ing, I will. I can always try to sell what I have already on eBay(LOL). Please, someone help, as I'm going crazy here!!!! Thanks :) 

More about : asus striker extreme

Best solution

March 19, 2011 7:54:37 PM

Hi Man i used this Beast MOBO when it comes out than i sold it out to a friend of mine anyway if u really wants a set of MEMORY that will ends up all ur problems well just get this KINGSTON set:
- Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9K2/4G.
this set is on the ASUS MEMORY QVL, if the High Latency & the 1333MHZ is not any problem for u than just get them & they will be running like charm.
about ur OCZ SET well on LGA 775 its not the same story like the latest P55, P67 SANDY BRIDGE, X58 & the new comer Z68 anything above 1333MHZ can't work cz there's no XMP profile in the BIOS therefore u have to O.C ur MEMORY from 1333MHZ to 1600MHZ, once u get this set give me ur feedback hope i was helpful t.c man enjoy ur RIG :) .

Best Regards.
March 21, 2011 3:24:31 PM

Hi Man, I tries every configuration in the book since my last post to get all for DIMMs working at the same time, with no sucess. Even after testing each one. So, I RMA's them back the OCZ for analysis and an exchange. But I could not wait for that so I took someone's advice in another thread about some other memory that they had luck with, that they purchased via NewEgg. It was the CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ). The price was great, and there was NO configuration needed!! Just snap them in. I have not tried as yet to do some timing and tweaking, or OC'ing, but these memory sets ROCKED. I threw three games at it and no problem. This rig will be going up for sale on eBay soon. Waiting on one more video card, which will complete the 3-way SLI mode. And a 200mm fan for the top of this awsome tower!
m
l
!