Transfering OS from HDD to SDD

langfusu100

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Hi, I'm new to the forum, so I don't know if I posted my question in the right place. :D

I'm looking forward to buying an ASUS UX32VD-DB71. I'm gonna replace its HDD (500gb-5400rpm) by a samsung SSD 256gb and upgrade its ram (4gb to 10gb, replacing a 2gb by a 8gb). I have no problem with upgrading the ram. About replacing the hard driver, I heard that Norton Ghost won't work on this laptop (I don't know the reason). So I intend to transfer the OS from the HDD to the SDD by a SATA-to-USB adapter. My question is that will transfering the OS work? If not, is there any other way to move the OS from the HDD to the SSD? I just don't wanna do a clean install, because I will have to download a ton of drivers and stuffs. I heard about Acronis and Clonezilla, but never used any of them.

You should never clone a harddrive to an SSD. It will not be set up properly. A clean install is the proper way to do it and is quick, easy, and get rid of all the bloat.

However there are some programs you can purchase that can migrate between a HDD and SSD, and some versions of the Samsung 830 come with a transfer kit with software. They are a waste of money since It's really better to do a clean install though.

langfusu100

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
if doing a clean install is the best way, I have one more question. As you guys may know, the ASUS UX32VD-DB71 doesn't have any disc drive (and I don't have a Windows install disc either, so an external disc drive won't work here.) I am familiar with reinstalling Windows from a bootable USB, but if I replace the HDD by a brandnew, from-the-box SDD, will I still be able to use the bootable USB? I mean there will be no BIOS, right? so will the USB work?

p/s: there is a 32gb SSD soldered on the laptop, but i don't know whether ASUS installed the OS or anything else on the soldered SSD or not

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG!!!

I have successfully CLONED a Hard Drive to an SSD several times. Unless you are having issues with your Windows installation don't reinstall everything.

Do you even have the proper discs for your exact laptop to reinstall Windows?

You're far better off CLONING.

Here's one example if you have a seagate or WD drive they have Acronis True Image software:

1. Hook up the SSD to a USB or eSATA external unit.
*Alternative: hook BOTH of these drives inside a desktop computer. Nothing fancy, just connect them both with the PC off and make sure you boot to that computers NORMAL version of Windows and NOT the laptop drive you just added (boot order can be changed in the BIOS and can change if you add new drives).

2. Acronis True Image Free Version (Seagate has a different name. Must use the WD version of this for WD drives and the Seagate version for Seagate drives)

3. in Acronis TI, select CLONE and follow the instructions.

4. install the SSD which has now been cloned to into the laptop and test it.

Here's another piece of software:
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

To run it:
1) install anywhere and create a boot disc
2) make sure your BIOS is set to boot CD/DVD before hard drive
3) make sure BOTH drives are attached (either in laptop or desktop)
4) Boot to the EASEUS CD/DVD
5) Follow the CLONE instructions
6) Install the SSD instead of the hard drive and test

Other tips:
- You might be able to download the full Trial version of Acronis True Image and use its CLONE feature during the 30-day Trial

- *You must have enough space on the SSD (compare your hard drive's USED SPACE to the amount of USABLE SPACE on the SSD).

You can clone the HDD but it is more troublesome than reinstalling OS. If you have the OS on a disk, and can connect a DVD drive, then do a fresh install. I recently did just that with my OS. When I booted from the DVD I immediately went into the BIOS and switched the 1st Boot Drive to the DVD Drive. (before it was my HDD with OS on it) Then I simply installed it.

If you don't have a DVD drive, maybe you could buy a cheap one (usually $10-15) and install the OS from the disc.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Ok so here is where your wrong. Even if the Windows install has only been for 10 minutes its still more corrupt and has more data issues than a clean isntall. So unless you want to take your problems with you, do a clean install. Not to include you can run into the problems of your SATA devices drivers not loading right due to the different device.