Good Idea to Buy Used/eBay?

shadows1123

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I've just been thinking about this one for awhile, browsing eBay and noticing that the price for used stuff (especially a high end gfx card) is about $100 cheaper than newegg. I'm just wondering if anybody has had any good/bad experiences using eBay or other similarly used products.

Check the feedback, payment options, and shipping charges. Use paypal, and you will have some recourse if the product is not delivered or if it does not match the description. I have sold graphics cards on e-bay after upgrading. If you bought from me, you got a good deal. I think most sellers are honest.

shadows1123

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
the only thing that bothers me is the lack of a warranty. if it goes bad within 30 days (or 6 months) then i'd be screwed, wouldn't i? i wouldn't even be able to RMA anything, would i?

Most sellers give a 7 day DOA return warranty. If the card runs properly initially, then it should last a long time. Look for a XFX card, they offer a transferrable warranty to the second buyer. Check the website for details and ask the seller if they have registered the card properly.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
It doesn't matter if they don't offer that. If it actually happens that it's dead when you get it, you just take it up with paypal. They will get you your money back.

And really, nobody wants to try to sell a bad card. So the only way it would really be DoA is from shipping. Or terrible not anti-static packing, which would surprise me from anyone able to sell a part and take it out of their computer.

But yeah, if it's used then presumably it's been running a while just fine in something. Most likely past the time period of likely failure.

I know that when I sell, I don't offer any kind of return stuff. But that's because I just don't want to hear about whatever it is ever again. And I never have, other than feedback that's like 'this was an amazing deal, great seller'

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
The problem is you have these issues which can be good or bad:
~The card broke and the owner can't get a refund on it
~The owner bought 10 of these cards to sell at a higher price, now that they can be bought in stores easier the seller is forced to lower his price.
~The card is a fake, you just bought and Nvidia 5800 when they said, "Get a high performance 5800 series card!"
~No warranty whatsoever.