Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New GXF Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 7, 2010 7:36:18 AM

Hey all,

Need a little help. I currently have a 8800 ultra card which i want to replace. I have £300-400 to spend. The form factor has to be the same as the 8800 ultra in terms of its connection as there is no more space left in my motherboard for anything else. I have plenty of space to fit just about any length of card in so it can be just about anything. Also i noticed that there are a number of brands, so recommendations on brands would be helpful too.

I have a 850w psu and a GA-X58A-UD7 main board.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

More about : gxf card

May 7, 2010 7:54:54 AM

hwzit

For your system and budget i would look @ a ATI Radeon HD5850 Or 5870

Also 2x 5770 Might Also be in your interest just for bragging rights.

All these cards would run circles around your current card.

My personal favorite supplier is Sapphire But gigabyte and XFX are also known to be good brands, keep us updated!

Good Luck (Nice MOBO)
May 7, 2010 8:00:55 AM

fisshy said:
hwzit

For your system and budget i would look @ a ATI Radeon HD5850 Or 5870

Also 2x 5770 Might Also be in your interest just for bragging rights.

All these cards would run circles around your current card.

My personal favorite supplier is Sapphire But gigabyte and XFX are also known to be good brands, keep us updated!

Good Luck (Nice MOBO)



Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, sli is not an option due to the amount of gear in the system. However i was wondering if the move from nvidia to ATI is smooth and if there was a best way to do it?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 7, 2010 8:22:20 AM

Quote:
Need a little help. I currently have a 8800 ultra card which i want to replace. I have £300-400 to spend. The form factor has to be the same as the 8800 ultra in terms of its connection as there is no more space left in my motherboard for anything else. I have plenty of space to fit just about any length of card in so it can be just about anything. Also i noticed that there are a number of brands, so recommendations on brands would be helpful too.

I have a 850w psu and a GA-X58A-UD7 main board.



You do have a solid board, psu & a good budget. Get the Radeon HD 5870. All the top brands are more or less evenly matched. In the end, it boils down to whose packaging you like the most :D 
No seriously; go for Sapphire, XFX
May 7, 2010 8:25:35 AM

ksampanna said:
Quote:
Need a little help. I currently have a 8800 ultra card which i want to replace. I have £300-400 to spend. The form factor has to be the same as the 8800 ultra in terms of its connection as there is no more space left in my motherboard for anything else. I have plenty of space to fit just about any length of card in so it can be just about anything. Also i noticed that there are a number of brands, so recommendations on brands would be helpful too.

I have a 850w psu and a GA-X58A-UD7 main board.



You do have a solid board, psu & a good budget. Get the Radeon HD 5870. All the top brands are more or less evenly matched. In the end, it boils down to whose packaging you like the most :D 
No seriously; go for Sapphire, XFX



Thanks for the info, much appreciated..... Any advice on moving from NVIDIA to ATI, drivers etc?
May 7, 2010 10:17:57 AM

Usually drivers will come in the box, just remember to remove all of the old drivers first!
May 7, 2010 11:11:12 AM

Quote:

..... Any advice on moving from NVIDIA to ATI, drivers etc?


No particular advice here. fisshy is right. Remove all the old nvidia drivers n then install the ATI ones. The driver cd that comes with the card usually does not contain the latest ones, so get them from the AMD website.
Best of luck!
!