Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001) - Good Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekker

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a couple 2TB hard drives (one for storage and one for backup) and I'm looking at the Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834

Anyone have any experience with these drives? Speed is not so much of a concern for me, I am utmost concerned about reliability as I want something that is going to last and not die on me right away (been there done that....NOT fun!)

For the combined price of both drives I'm trying to stay as close to $200 as possible (but a little over is ok).

Thanks,
-tkr

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

I ordered this drive and then found out how bad it is through reviews. Don't make the same mistake. Read the reviews, there's a reason why this hard drive is so cheap. It's practically hit or miss, you might get a good one and might get a bad one. I thought of shelling out some more $$ at least knowing that all of my data won't be gone if the hard drive stops working.

austinwillis81

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

Don't read newegg reviews and take them as fact. Read reviews from reputable tech sites. Like Tom's and so on.

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

But if so many people are saying that their hard drives keep getting broken, why should I ignore them? It's not like they're trying to flame seagate and any one of those customers could have been him.

Any drive can break. The main reason for Seagate drives having more bad reviews (if they do) is probably just higher volume. More drives sold = more drives fail.

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

But you've got to remember that the rating is the average of all the sales. Example 1: 189 ratings, 5 stars
Example 2 : 174 ratings, 3 stars
I don't really care if the op wants to buy this hard drive, I'm just giving him a warning.

Still, it's not reliable. It's a small, biased subset of the total customer base. Even if you had a balanced sample of the customer base, it would take close to a thousand reviews for it to be statistically reliable.

And it's even worse because a lot of people may blame the wrong component for problems they've encountered.

austinwillis81

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
You also have to take into account all the people that don't write a review. As when I buy something from Newegg or any other online retailer. I never write a review because I don't want to be bothered to write one. But now if said item didn't work and I was asked to write a review I would be a whole lot more inclined to write one. Mainly because I would feel that it would be necessary to tell people that I had a problem with the item.

Reactions: cat1092

_UART_

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
...good point, however a negative review is a negative review & that means 'flags'; shouldn't be many. From my experience with Seagate in all I've had hit/miss (50/50) however, you want a quality drive, you're gonna pay, for NAS doctor to stay away, meaning you're better off with their mid-priced drives ($165~250) than buying those $80 corpses.

Barracudas scare me now

From what Steve (Seagate's inside tech) told me is that it's a demand issue regarding Seagate's quality problem in Cali.

yveZ

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
It is a well known fact that people write a review a lot quicker if the product or service they used is a bad one. That's one.

Secondly, I cannot give you a number, but i am pretty pretty sure 200 ratings is not even a drop on a hotplate of the actual volume sold.

Third, the only point is that it is best not to take ratings as a guideline...i would make sure you use information from reputable sites...as mentioned before, it is also possible the ratings are influenced by bad handling by the "user" and perhaps bad packaging at a certain supplier...etc...etc.

If every website discussing HDD's is showing a certain complaint about a specific HDD type, then maybe it is something to bare in mind.

[edit] By the way, your hit and miss comment...for me that goes for Western Digital...I have had bad luck with their series on occasion, best guess would be 1 in 3 i had broke quite quickly...everyone has a horror story about a brand/disk/type, i find it better to make sure i get my information from "pro" reviews...

Danifilth

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
You have to take this into consideration 60% of those reviews may be from users who don't know about computers. Not knowing anything about the limitations on the hard drive like IDE mode and AHCI with NCQ Chipset controllers and so on. NCQ has been enabled on my hard drive since 2006 still running like brand new today on my seagate 500GB drive. Don't take the reviews seriously like sites from Amazon and Newegg you have to look at benchmark reviews like from here. The way my drive is set up OS 75GB and 2nd partition is for data and games since i hate redownloading data after format. Takes 3 seconds to log into windows since the OS partition is so small and access the drive super quick and i never download windows updates.

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Personally, I will never touch a Seagate HDD again.
So far I´ve had three 3TB versions. And all had the same issue: The longer I used them, the louder they got.
And while trying to find a solution to this, I found out how bad those Seagate drives really seem to be since there are so many people complaining about the same issue. Or even worse, total failures of the HDD.

If you don´t care too much about noise and the like, you might be just fine (after all the price is more than tempting) but personally, I just don´t trust those things anymore.

The drive is fine if they made disabling the stupid APM easier. If you ignored it and let it run for a few months, the load cycles would increase dramatically. I don't know how other guys get around this, but I use task scheduler to launch quietHDD at every log on with the highest/admin priveleges, that way the constant head parking should not be a problem. seeing that this post was made more than a month ago, I guess op may have already bought it. This may also be a luck based thing, as some will last longer than others :|.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I bought this drive and it's been working fine since June of this year. Boots Win 7 pretty quick and using TruCrypt with it. After reading the bad reviews makes me wonder why would Seagate as a manufacture want to be in business of making bad drives so people wouldn't buy from them? Granted there is always going to be bad drives from wide variety of reasons.

There is one thing I can't stress this strong enough: ALWAYS make regular backups of your data!!

As I have said my ST2000DM001 been running fine so far as I use my computer daily. Power on and stays on during the day and turn off at night.

I will do a SMART test on it to see any issues and report back.

jxsilicon9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
I would stay away from Seagate and WD green drives. The power saving modes are one of the main reasons it fails. For western digital I would go for the blue or black drives. I have a WD 1TB green caviar and the bad sectors keep increasing. My oldest HDD is my 500gb 7200 Seagate Barracuda which I got in 2010 and was in a aluminum enclosure without a fan for three years and still is running perfectly. I've had two 1TB and one 2TB western digital drives fail. One was a my book and the other was of course the caviar green. Of course the 2TB WD elments drive was so hot you could fry bacon on that thing. Had to RMA that.

Picking a HDD is Russian roulette since Seagate and Western Digital bought almost all the competition. Samsung had great drives before WD. Most HDD fail issues are how the retail handles and ships it. I would recommend Samsung for 2TB drives. But all you can do is check the reviews and when you get an HDD you have to test it. Personally I wouldn't get an HDD with less than a 3 year warranty.

shubhankar joshi

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
i am using this for 1 year and is the best drive so far . i also have western digital 1tb that's also fine but this segate drive is fastest i have ever seen.
segate is best in high capacity drives because my uncle told me (he is hdd retail seller) their costumer support is great too.temp control is best in this drive

hetrickj

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Newegg has horrible shipping policies. Last hard drive I ordered was a 500 GB Black laptop drive in a ESD bag shipped in peanuts and it had settled to the bottom of the box. There are reasons why so many drives go bad from Newegg it's their poor shipping methods. Read the way the manufactures such as WD respond to the users, they know it's Newegg's shipping by pointing out that EACH drive is tested prior to shipping from WD.

popatim

Titan
I don't like to put 'all my eggs in one basket' so I tend to buy a mix of established drives so I know their reputation and have given them time to work the bugs out. For exaple when western digital cam out with their Green line they weren't very good, alot failed early but now they have refined the drive and I would recommend it as a storage drive to anyone.

Seagate's 1tb platter drives are still relatively new and I initially wouldn't touch them but they've been out long enough that I bought two of their 3tb drive and have had them in testing for 3 months and to me they are ready to go into production and be installed in my home server. Seagate does not make drives in California. They are either chinese or taiwan and you can tell by the extra numbers in the part number on the drive usually.

I suggest you buy the Seagate as your main drive and a WD as your backup; perhaps a green or a red. There's no need for 7200rpm for a storage drive.

ravideval

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001) Bad HDD (External Condition)
Mostly break problem
Warranty expire
But if so many people are saying that their hard drives keep getting broken, why should I ignore them? It's not like they're trying to flame seagate and any one of those customers could have been him.

vampelle

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
hi everyone.
so what do u all recommend for 1Tb and 2TB. As in most forumn here ppl said go for seagate. but here it is noo seagate. maybe i will buy two 1TB hdd of different brand. oh limited brand here unfortunately. seagate , WD green, (some blue, red n black but more expensive.) and toshiba.
We really need tom to give a proper review on these hdd through all the test. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.