p4r4d0x

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hi all.

So my computer has been up for just under a year now. Up until this point is has been working very well.
So I went to go grab something to eat, and I had left my computer on since it would only take a bit. Afterwards, I come back to find that my computer has completely shut off, no signs of sleep mode or anything.

When I popped open the case I found that there was an orange and green light both lit up, and they were at the bottom right of the DIMM slots on my motherboard (orange on top of green). From what I gathered these are either the DDR phase LED's or the NB phase LED's.

I tried a few things such as turning the PSU back on and off, but trying to turn on the computer has yielded the same result: no sign of power at all and just the orange and green LED's lit up. Prior to the shutdown I had applied no overclocking to the CPU or RAM.

Any help would be appreciated, and I am sorry if this issue has appeared before.

System Specs

Gigabyte X-58A-UD3R
Antec Truepower New 750W PSU
Intel Core i7 930
XFX Radeon 5850
Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 R 2GB RAM Units*6

Solution
Sounds like either the CPU is dead or the PSU is dead. To test the CPU, you'd have to install it in another system, one that supports the CPU and is a known working system. To test the PSU, you should use a digital multimeter. However, there is one simple trick that can be used prior to the multimeter.

Get a paper clicp and open it up by undoing the natural bends. Disconnect the P1 and P4 connectors from the motherboard. Insert one end of the paper clip into the socket of the green wire. Now insert the other end of the paper clip into any of the neighboring black wires. If the PSU turns on, then test the PSU with a multimeter. If the PSU doesn't turn on, get a new one.
Sounds like either the CPU is dead or the PSU is dead. To test the CPU, you'd have to install it in another system, one that supports the CPU and is a known working system. To test the PSU, you should use a digital multimeter. However, there is one simple trick that can be used prior to the multimeter.

Get a paper clicp and open it up by undoing the natural bends. Disconnect the P1 and P4 connectors from the motherboard. Insert one end of the paper clip into the socket of the green wire. Now insert the other end of the paper clip into any of the neighboring black wires. If the PSU turns on, then test the PSU with a multimeter. If the PSU doesn't turn on, get a new one.

Solution

p4r4d0x

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Just tried the paperclip trick. If I indeed do everything right,looks like the PSU is dead. I'll take it into the shop to have it checked.
Either way, I would rather have a dead PSU than a dead CPU.