Slides to CD to hand out a Christmas - help

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 15, 2004 4:03:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.film+labs (More info?)

For Christmas, I want to scan, all our old family slides and hand out copies
on CD to everyone. Therefore, what resolution, would you scan them at.
Would you keep the output at the original size of 24x36mm or change it to
like 4x6 inch or does it matter. I have about 400 slides it would be nice
to put them all on one CD but that may not be practical I have noticed that
the files on the Photo CD's you get from the photo labs are not very big
however?

I just purchased an Epson 4870 Photo Scanner yesterday I read somewhere
that Digital ICE does not work on Kodachome so I will not use it I guess.
All most all the slides I have are 50 to 30 years old Kodachome, I also have
some Ektachome and some Technicolor as well. In addition, the colors are
changing so I will need to do some color correction work as well. I am sure
that a Flat bed scanner is not as good as a true film scanner but as my
grandparents took these slides, they were Far from Professional quality
anyhow.

Also Some DVD players like my cheap one will read Kodak Picture CD's or
other JPG files so that will be nicer than getting out the projector. Or
take it to Wal-Mart and have them printed on the Fuji Frontier printer by
using the Fuji Kiosk.

Thanks in advance for you advice and help.
Mike

More about : slides hand christmas

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 5:12:53 AM

Speaking somewhat off the cuff here. I would let your choice of resolution
somewhat be dependent on two factors. 1) Whether you really want to limit
to one CD? If so I would divide the number of photos by the approximate
size of the CD ie 650MBytes/400photos= 1.5MB per photo. If you save your
scans as a JPG, you may be able to scan as much as 5M pixels per picture and
still compress to JPG format in 1.3Mbytes. The square root of 5M is 2236
pixels per side. I would format to a more common ratio such that it yields
5M in a 4:6, 5:7 or 8:10 aspect so that your photos could be printed easily
in that aspect ratio. 2) if you determine that you want maximum resolution,
do what is reasonable and perhaps cut multiple CDs so that everyone gets
hi-res photos. I just scanned a 4 x 6 photo and printed into an 8 x 12. It
generated a lot of noise that had to be manually photoshopped.

"Mike Koperskinospam" <nospammkoperskinospam@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o jRvd.21976$NO5.20116@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> For Christmas, I want to scan, all our old family slides and hand out
copies
> on CD to everyone. Therefore, what resolution, would you scan them at.
> Would you keep the output at the original size of 24x36mm or change it to
> like 4x6 inch or does it matter. I have about 400 slides it would be nice
> to put them all on one CD but that may not be practical I have noticed
that
> the files on the Photo CD's you get from the photo labs are not very big
> however?
>
> I just purchased an Epson 4870 Photo Scanner yesterday I read somewhere
> that Digital ICE does not work on Kodachome so I will not use it I guess.
> All most all the slides I have are 50 to 30 years old Kodachome, I also
have
> some Ektachome and some Technicolor as well. In addition, the colors are
> changing so I will need to do some color correction work as well. I am
sure
> that a Flat bed scanner is not as good as a true film scanner but as my
> grandparents took these slides, they were Far from Professional quality
> anyhow.
>
> Also Some DVD players like my cheap one will read Kodak Picture CD's or
> other JPG files so that will be nicer than getting out the projector. Or
> take it to Wal-Mart and have them printed on the Fuji Frontier printer by
> using the Fuji Kiosk.
>
> Thanks in advance for you advice and help.
> Mike

December 15, 2004 2:25:18 PM

Mike Koperskinospam wrote:

> For Christmas, I want to scan, all our old family slides and hand out copies
> on CD to everyone. Therefore, what resolution, would you scan them at.
> Would you keep the output at the original size of 24x36mm or change it to
> like 4x6 inch or does it matter. I have about 400 slides it would be nice
> to put them all on one CD but that may not be practical I have noticed that
> the files on the Photo CD's you get from the photo labs are not very big
> however?

You scan for output. If the output is just the screen, then you scan at a
resolution that will give 800 to 1024 (ish) wide scans. If the output is 6x4 at
300 dpi then you scan to get 6 x 300 = 1800 pixel wide scans. Common practise
is to make one scan at the highest required res., save it, and then resize for
the various other output sizes. USM at each size.

The CD's can easilly hold hundreds of screen sized JPG's and some slide viewing
programs will put an executable slide viewer onto the CD.

December 15, 2004 2:26:48 PM

Mike Koperskinospam wrote:
> For Christmas, I want to scan, all our old family slides and hand out copies
> on CD to everyone. Therefore, what resolution, would you scan them at.
> Would you keep the output at the original size of 24x36mm or change it to
> like 4x6 inch or does it matter. I have about 400 slides it would be nice
> to put them all on one CD but that may not be practical I have noticed that
> the files on the Photo CD's you get from the photo labs are not very big
> however?
>
> I just purchased an Epson 4870 Photo Scanner yesterday I read somewhere
> that Digital ICE does not work on Kodachome so I will not use it I guess.
> All most all the slides I have are 50 to 30 years old Kodachome, I also have
> some Ektachome and some Technicolor as well. In addition, the colors are
> changing so I will need to do some color correction work as well. I am sure
> that a Flat bed scanner is not as good as a true film scanner but as my
> grandparents took these slides, they were Far from Professional quality
> anyhow.
>
> Also Some DVD players like my cheap one will read Kodak Picture CD's or
> other JPG files so that will be nicer than getting out the projector. Or
> take it to Wal-Mart and have them printed on the Fuji Frontier printer by
> using the Fuji Kiosk.
>
> Thanks in advance for you advice and help.
> Mike

Scanning 400 slides before Christmas will drive you nuts.
Trust me on that one.
Let someone do it who is set up to scan automatically
Check out : http://www.slideplus.com/slidecd/index.htm
They are quite inexpensive.
Also, you might consider doing some heavy duty culling to maybe 100-150
images. If the slides are not all that well photographed, you will lose
your audience in 30 minutes.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 3:49:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.film+labs (More info?)

I scanned in all my fathers slides and made a SVCD for him. It took about 3
weeks for 800 slides in my spare time. About 4 minuets per slide. I used a
Nikon coolscan III with Ice. I color corrected every slide with the Nikon
software, as most were from the 50's and 60's. I did NOT have any problem
with Kodochrome and ice. I used the highest dpi and archived the masters,
but a SVCD only needs about 640/480 dpi. So you could use a much lower scan
setting to save time. As said, its a lot of work.

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> Mike Koperskinospam wrote:
>
>> For Christmas, I want to scan, all our old family slides and hand out
>> copies
>> on CD to everyone. Therefore, what resolution, would you scan them at.
>> Would you keep the output at the original size of 24x36mm or change it to
>> like 4x6 inch or does it matter. I have about 400 slides it would be
>> nice
>> to put them all on one CD but that may not be practical I have noticed
>> that
>> the files on the Photo CD's you get from the photo labs are not very big
>> however?
>
> You scan for output. If the output is just the screen, then you scan at a
> resolution that will give 800 to 1024 (ish) wide scans. If the output is
> 6x4 at 300 dpi then you scan to get 6 x 300 = 1800 pixel wide scans.
> Common practise is to make one scan at the highest required res., save it,
> and then resize for the various other output sizes. USM at each size.
>
> The CD's can easilly hold hundreds of screen sized JPG's and some slide
> viewing programs will put an executable slide viewer onto the CD.

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 4:38:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.film+labs (More info?)

"Mike Koperskinospam" <nospammkoperskinospam@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o jRvd.21976$NO5.20116@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> For Christmas, I want to scan, all our old family slides and hand out
copies
> on CD to everyone. Therefore, what resolution, would you scan them at.
> Would you keep the output at the original size of 24x36mm or change it to
> like 4x6 inch or does it matter. I have about 400 slides it would be nice
> to put them all on one CD but that may not be practical I have noticed
that
> the files on the Photo CD's you get from the photo labs are not very big
> however?
>
> I just purchased an Epson 4870 Photo Scanner yesterday I read somewhere
> that Digital ICE does not work on Kodachome so I will not use it I guess.
> All most all the slides I have are 50 to 30 years old Kodachome, I also
have
> some Ektachome and some Technicolor as well. In addition, the colors are
> changing so I will need to do some color correction work as well. I am
sure
> that a Flat bed scanner is not as good as a true film scanner but as my
> grandparents took these slides, they were Far from Professional quality
> anyhow.
>
> Also Some DVD players like my cheap one will read Kodak Picture CD's or
> other JPG files so that will be nicer than getting out the projector. Or
> take it to Wal-Mart and have them printed on the Fuji Frontier printer by
> using the Fuji Kiosk.
>
> Thanks in advance for you advice and help.
> Mike

For computer screen or TV screen the only dimenstion that matters is the
Pixels.

To show the whole image without resizing which some DVD players can do.
For Computer a max size of about 1024 x 768 pixels. Depends on the user's
screen resolution.

A HD TV is max 1920 x 1080 pixels
A standard TV is around 640 x 480 pixels.

Of course burn a test CD or DVD and try it before sending out all of those
CDs that nobody can use.

It would be a good idea to take your DVD player with you when you visit.
That way you know that you can show the pictures.

By the Way, you should have started this project 6 months ago. It takes a
very long time to scan that many photos and slides.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.film+labs (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:03:24 -0600, "Mike Koperskinospam"
<nospammkoperskinospam@kc.rr.com> wrote:

>For Christmas, I want to scan, all our old family slides and hand out copies
>on CD to everyone. Therefore, what resolution, would you scan them at.
>Would you keep the output at the original size of 24x36mm or change it to
>like 4x6 inch or does it matter. I have about 400 slides it would be nice
>to put them all on one CD but that may not be practical I have noticed that
>the files on the Photo CD's you get from the photo labs are not very big
>however?

First of all, you should have started this project last month.
Scanning slides is incredibly boring and takes time. (I know, I've
just done a similar task with about 350 slides) - my brain can only
handle a couple of hours a day before it seizes up.

Output DPI is not relevant for this task. Scan them at the highest
*NATIVE* resolution your scanner can do, because you will only want to
do this once. In your case, that's 4,800 x 9,600, but the software
will probably need to be at 9,600 x 9,600 with some interpolation in
one dimension (Note: Slide orientation will affect scan quality)

> I just purchased an Epson 4870 Photo Scanner yesterday I read somewhere
>that Digital ICE does not work on Kodachome so I will not use it I guess.

This is part of why it takes time, *some* kodachrome shots seem to be
okay with it, but zoom in to 100% and look for a blurring around
contrasty edges (the grain will not be visible because ICE thought it
was dust, and blurred it). Scanning with ICE on (I have a Nikon IV-ED)
takes much longer than with it off, but on over-exposed kodachromes it
can still work. Therefore some slides had to be scanned twice or more
before I saved the TIFF.

So, generally no ICE means you need a can-of-air to blow-clean the
slides before scanning. Keep the scanner bed + lid clean too.

>All most all the slides I have are 50 to 30 years old Kodachome, I also have
>some Ektachome and some Technicolor as well. In addition, the colors are
>changing so I will need to do some color correction work as well. I am sure
>that a Flat bed scanner is not as good as a true film scanner but as my
>grandparents took these slides, they were Far from Professional quality
>anyhow.

You can get photoshop plugins from Kodak that do Digital SHO (color
restoration) and Digital GEM (grain reduction)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03103102kodakdigitals...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04073001kodakdigitalg...

Haven't tried these external plugins, as my scanner/software has it
built-in. I tended to do white-balance manually.

>Also Some DVD players like my cheap one will read Kodak Picture CD's or
>other JPG files so that will be nicer than getting out the projector. Or
>take it to Wal-Mart and have them printed on the Fuji Frontier printer by
>using the Fuji Kiosk.

Yep, once you have 300 TIFFS at 50Mb each (or whatever they are)
rename the files with a 3-digit serial, the year, where it was and
who's in the picture (avoid Mum, Dad etc. use their and your own first
names).

Check each TIFF for any further correction, rotation, cropping,
dust-removal or repairs and save them as TIFF again (overwrite if you
want, you decide). Now archive those images onto DVDs in their TIFF
format, keeping a copy on the PC for the time being. If you don't have
a DVD burner, get one they are cheap and the media is much better than
CD.

Run a photoshop batch job to generate JPEGs from TIFFs to be put onto
the JPEG-CDs for the family members.

I'm a little anal at this stage, so if the CD is for TV viewing, I
will reduce the JPEGs to NTSC/PAL dimensions and perform unsharp mask
to give optimum image quality when viewed on the TV (loosing the
ability to zoom in live, but nobody ever does this anyway). Do some
unsharp tests on CDRW first to get the settings right. This CD will
not however be suitable as a master for printing 6x4s, so you may want
to consider writing 2CDs - one for TV viewing and the other with much
larger JPEGs for PC viewing & Printing.

Also consider a 'memories to TV' style program that can make a DVD
slideshow in true DVD format that will allow you to pan across images,
zoom in & out, crossfade etc and add music and subtitles to each shot.
This can then be played on most DVD players.

One that apparently does very smooth pans is Canopus Imaginate:
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/Imaginate2/pm_imagina...

...but it's $199.

--
Owamanga!
December 15, 2004 6:07:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.film+labs (More info?)

You won't have time to do high resolution scans. Just scan at a lower
resolution of 1800dpi or so. That will be more than enough for
TV/computer viewing. Just let your family members know that if they want
a 5x7 or 8x10 print made, that you can pick out the individual slide
to scan at a higher resolution.

!