Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[i5-750 build] Question Ram, Mobo and monitor

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 13, 2010 2:31:08 PM

Hello,

So I am going for an i5-750 build.

Here's the components list I have:

CPU:
i5-750
GPU:
There's two different models, but one is cheaper :pfff: 
5850 cheapest
5850
Monitor:
Hanss G 28''
Asus 25.5''
HDD:
Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB
PSU:
Should I get a bigger PSU? I want to OC CPU, GPU and Rams
650TX
HSF:
Coolermaster 212
Rams:
Which one is best?
G.SKILL Ripjaws These have the highest latency, but I guess it is possible to lower these one.
G.SKILL ECO these one have the lowest latency
The price difference is 15$
DVD:
Lite-On
Case:
HAF 922
or
Antec 300
Price difference between both is 42$ which is somewhat huge. So does the HAF 922 worth his extra 42$? I want a case with enough space to not have to fight with the wires.
Mobo:
Gigabyte GAP55USB3
OR
The ASUS P7P55D-E Pro. I remember I selected an other model (the no sli/CF version of this mobo) the last time I searched for this build because I read it was one of the best mobo for that price tag.
I want to OC the CPU for ~3.2GHz turbo on (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficie...) and then (when my computer will have difficult to run some games), I'll probably push it to his limit, if I can, without turbo on.
Based on that, which model would be the best one?


If you have any suggestion or advice, feel free to let me know them!


June 13, 2010 3:40:55 PM

Go for the cheaper 5850, the only difference is a miniscule amount of factory overclocking that you can easily surpass yourself.

I'd go for the cheaper Ripjaws RAM as the performance difference wouldn't be noticeable & they have better heatspreaders.

I'd go for this case instead as it's $10 cheaper, has more dust filters & has great reviews:
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/225611/RC-692-KKN2/CO...

I'd go with the Asus motherboard, their whole P7P55D line seems great. I think the one you found before was the P7P55D-E? (No Pro).


m
0
l
June 13, 2010 3:48:30 PM

I upgrade the PSu to a TX-950 for a little more, it can take anything you throw at it, and be taken to a new build. In addition, PSUs run cooler, and last longer while having better power effeciancy while run at low load.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 13, 2010 6:21:10 PM

builderbobftw said:
I upgrade the PSu to a TX-950 for a little more, it can take anything you throw at it, and be taken to a new build. In addition, PSUs run cooler, and last longer while having better power effeciancy while run at low load.


Wow thanks mate! I've found that PSU cheaper than the actual I picked :o  (It is at 167 on newegg however)
http://pccyber.com/?v=product&i=PS-COR-CMPSU-950TX
This is wayyyy too overkill for my specs :lol: 

Thanks for the suggestion, the case looks great!
Do you know the difference between these mobo? I've not found any comparative benchmark yet...

Last question: which monitor would you take? the 1920x1200 looks attractive with his 27,5''. Some user told me that it's best to have 25'' because cheaper and not much difference...
m
0
l
June 13, 2010 6:29:50 PM

Just a nickname said:
Wow thanks mate! I've found that PSU cheaper than the actual I picked :o  (It is at 167 on newegg however)
http://pccyber.com/?v=product&i=PS-COR-CMPSU-950TX
This is wayyyy too overkill for my specs :lol: 

Thanks for the suggestion, the case looks great!
Do you know the difference between these mobo? I've not found any comparative benchmark yet...

Last question: which monitor would you take? the 1920x1200 looks attractive with his 27,5''. Some user told me that it's best to have 25'' because cheaper and not much difference...


The Gigabayte is inferior.

Stick to the Asus.

Also, are you sure that site is legit? Some of the stuff looks to good to be true.

Like this card, it's 700$ USD and out of stock everywhere for 650$ cad in stock:

http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=VC-AS-EAH5970/G/2GD5/
m
0
l
June 13, 2010 6:37:22 PM

And about moniters, deffinatlly get something at 19x12, and 27.5 vs 25.5 is very noticable, it's like night and day.
m
0
l
June 13, 2010 6:56:16 PM

The card is out of stock BTW!
Well, I don't care if it's legit or not as I am using a pricematching at NCIX.com

For the rams, I noticed that the eco have lower voltage (and of course lower latency) which is, from what I've heard, better when overclocking!
There's not a big price difference and if I can get more for my bucks I won't cry.

Here is what an user told me:
asteldian said:
I assume with that monitor you are planning on using an HDMI cable to connect the monitor? Because it only has an HDMI input and a D-Sub input - no DVI which is what most tend to use.
Personally with 1920 x 1080/1200 resolutions I tend to stick with up to 25 inch screens as I think they look best with that resolution (though this is just personal preference) and I would actually consider saving money on a smaller monitor to get the 5870


I have HDMI cable home so I guess it is not a problem for me isn't?

m
0
l
June 13, 2010 10:51:50 PM

Kk but why do you guys always answer to the last questions?!

"For the rams, I noticed that the eco have lower voltage (and of course lower latency) which is, from what I've heard, better when overclocking!
There's not a big price difference and if I can get more for my bucks I won't cry."

I'll kudo you once somebody answered me xD
m
0
l
June 13, 2010 11:00:02 PM

Well, those Ripjaws will let you get to a 4.0GHz OC pretty easy, so I wouldn't worry about that.
m
0
l
June 13, 2010 11:07:54 PM

The G.Skill eco memory modules are quite nice with their tight latencies and low voltage. Normally 1600mhz DDR3 modules use around 1.65v. A lower voltage usually means a higher quality module with more possibilities for overclocking or tightening latencies because you usually have more headroom for increasing voltages and making the modules stable. Both of your modules are good choices though.

builderbobftw said:
I upgrade the PSu to a TX-950 for a little more, it can take anything you throw at it, and be taken to a new build. In addition, PSUs run cooler, and last longer while having better power effeciancy while run at low load.


Rubbish. PSUs are most efficient when running at around 50% load. There is always a "minimum" power usage when the PSU is on so the efficiency takes a hit. And when using at high loads the efficiency decreases because of the increased heat.
m
0
l
June 14, 2010 12:33:49 AM

Nowa said:
The G.Skill eco memory modules are quite nice with their tight latencies and low voltage. Normally 1600mhz DDR3 modules use around 1.65v. A lower voltage usually means a higher quality module with more possibilities for overclocking or tightening latencies because you usually have more headroom for increasing voltages and making the modules stable. Both of your modules are good choices though.



Rubbish. PSUs are most efficient when running at around 50% load. There is always a "minimum" power usage when the PSU is on so the efficiency takes a hit. And when using at high loads the efficiency decreases because of the increased heat.


YOu just agreed with me!

A PSU running at 50% load will be MUCH more efficant than one at 103% load 24/7.

WHy don't you think before you flame me?
m
0
l
June 14, 2010 12:43:50 AM

Thanks for the nice informations!
I guess that I should be satisfied with any of the ram model. I am just wondering, as I don't have much OC experience, if I'd be better with the 1.35v. As the maximal voltage on p55 board is 1.65v for ram, .15v looks like tight if I take the ripjaws...

I'm a bit sceptic about the fact that PSU are more effective at 50% load. From what I still remember of my physics class, the resistance increase with the power of the flow. More resistance = more heat = more energy lost
I'm not trying to say you're wrong or what, I am curious to see if my hypothesis were right!

Ok so that's quite annoying, I keep being uncertain about one of the part at the moment I am about to buy =\
Should I go with a 650W? 700W? 950W?!
700W-750W is enough for SLi/CF so I guess it will give me more than enough juice! If somebody as a better suggestion than my 650W TX or the 950W then link me to it!

Thanks a lot for all of your suggestion + help
<3
m
0
l
June 14, 2010 1:59:12 AM

The voltage isn't going to be an issue, but if it bothers you, then the peace of mind is worth the extra $10 or whatever it is. If you want to stay at the lower price level, buy F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ. They're listed at 1.5v.
m
0
l
June 14, 2010 11:01:52 AM

builderbobftw said:
YOu just agreed with me!

A PSU running at 50% load will be MUCH more efficant than one at 103% load 24/7.

WHy don't you think before you flame me?


Nothing of the sort mate. Considering Just a nickname's setup and the power supplies suggested here there is no reason whatsoever to buy a 950W PSU unless he's planning on going with 3 or 4 graphic cards. With that setup his peak power usage(100% load) would be less than 400 watts, and 100% load do not happen in normal computer usage.
You claimed that PSUs are more efficient at low loads and that's just not true. Of course the most efficient spot of PSUs varies somewhat but it usually falls to medium loads (40%-60%), not low loads.

Here's a few tests on Corsair PSUs.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX620W-P...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-TX950W-P...

And feel free to search for additional ones if you still do not believe me mate.


As for the which PSU you need you are very much fine with the 650W even if you plan to crossfire your 5850 card. Even on ATIs own recommendations it says:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

And the official recommendations usually have a lot of headroom.

Here's a good PSU calculator if you want to see what kind of loads you can expect with your setup.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
m
0
l
June 14, 2010 8:58:37 PM

Nowa said:
Nothing of the sort mate. Considering Just a nickname's setup and the power supplies suggested here there is no reason whatsoever to buy a 950W PSU unless he's planning on going with 3 or 4 graphic cards. With that setup his peak power usage(100% load) would be less than 400 watts, and 100% load do not happen in normal computer usage.
You claimed that PSUs are more efficient at low loads and that's just not true. Of course the most efficient spot of PSUs varies somewhat but it usually falls to medium loads (40%-60%), not low loads.

Here's a few tests on Corsair PSUs.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX620W-P...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-TX950W-P...

And feel free to search for additional ones if you still do not believe me mate.


As for the which PSU you need you are very much fine with the 650W even if you plan to crossfire your 5850 card. Even on ATIs own recommendations it says:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

And the official recommendations usually have a lot of headroom.



Here's a good PSU calculator if you want to see what kind of loads you can expect with your setup.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp



You knwo that the official recommendation are a stock computer, with a stock CPu and a stock GPU?

He will be using way more the 400W.

and 950/2= 475W

So a TX-950 is the way to go here.


Also, i still don't know why are you are flaming and not heloping the Op, he already said that the Tx-950 wich:

1. Will run cooler.

2. Less rippling.

3. Last longer.

4. Better effeciacny.

5. Newer construction

Will be cheaper than the Tx-650 for him
m
0
l
June 15, 2010 7:16:56 AM

builderbobftw said:
You knwo that the official recommendation are a stock computer, with a stock CPu and a stock GPU?

He will be using way more the 400W.

and 950/2= 475W

So a TX-950 is the way to go here.


Also, i still don't know why are you are flaming and not heloping the Op, he already said that the Tx-950 wich:

1. Will run cooler.

2. Less rippling.

3. Last longer.

4. Better effeciacny.

5. Newer construction

Will be cheaper than the Tx-650 for him


That setup should not use more than 400W at full load. Compare it to tom's results if you will. It's a bit different setup using a i-7 975 with the more power hungry x58 chipset. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5850,2433...

And that is beyond the point. You would never even be near 100% load on your computer unless you run Furmark and Prime95 24/7 in the background while using your computer.

As for your points:

1. Likely since it's designed for way higher power consumption
2. Rippling has nothing to do with the size of the power supply. The thing that matters here is the quality of the parts. And since both suggested power supplies here are corsairs it's more than likely the ripple levels are at the same levels.
3. Maybe, maybe not. Both of these power supplies have a 5 year warranty and 100.000hr MTBF.
4. No. Unless he is going to have several of those 5850 cards under the hood the the power load levels will never get high enough that you would need a 950W power supply. The likely power usage would be around 300 Watts in a demanding game (a guess) with that setup the OP posted.
5. Seems to be so, I don't know. It does comply to atx 2.3 standard but that is totally irrelevant here.

If he can get the bigger power supply for the same price (or cheaper) then yes, there is no reason not to grab that one. But it is totally overkill for the OPs setup as he said himself.
m
0
l
June 15, 2010 5:12:34 PM

Nowa said:
That setup should not use more than 400W at full load. Compare it to tom's results if you will. It's a bit different setup using a i-7 975 with the more power hungry x58 chipset. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5850,2433...

And that is beyond the point. You would never even be near 100% load on your computer unless you run Furmark and Prime95 24/7 in the background while using your computer.

As for your points:

1. Likely since it's designed for way higher power consumption
2. Rippling has nothing to do with the size of the power supply. The thing that matters here is the quality of the parts. And since both suggested power supplies here are corsairs it's more than likely the ripple levels are at the same levels.
3. Maybe, maybe not. Both of these power supplies have a 5 year warranty and 100.000hr MTBF.
4. No. Unless he is going to have several of those 5850 cards under the hood the the power load levels will never get high enough that you would need a 950W power supply. The likely power usage would be around 300 Watts in a demanding game (a guess) with that setup the OP posted.
5. Seems to be so, I don't know. It does comply to atx 2.3 standard but that is totally irrelevant here.

If he can get the bigger power supply for the same price (or cheaper) then yes, there is no reason not to grab that one. But it is totally overkill for the OPs setup as he said himself.


Lawl.

Learn before you talk.

The Tx-950 is a totaly diffrent part the the TC-850, not just a larger wattage capciety.
m
0
l
June 15, 2010 9:41:24 PM

Mate, I have no idea what you are talking about and i'm not sure if you do either.

There's no tc-850 power supply even mentioned here. Maybe you are trying to say that Seasonic (TX-650) makes bad power supplies? That channel well (TX-950) power supplies are somehow far superior to the seasonic ones?

You are free to point out where i'm wrong but saying something like "lawl" does not really make a point or elaborate what you are trying to say here.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 12:16:59 AM

Link didnt work.

Don't buy a crappy PSU, you dont want to skimp on that.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 1:21:42 AM

The Antec Earthwatts 650 is a good PSU. JohnnyGURU gave it the thumb's up.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 5:06:23 PM

TX-950 is a much better idea at a few dollars more
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 9:03:51 PM

What's the price? Maybe I'm missing a sale, but it's like $170 vs $80 CAN.
m
0
l
June 17, 2010 1:14:37 AM

Not missing the point, the sale. Don't be so abrasive, Bob.

As for the price, if they're actually match that, that's tough to pass up for only additional $25. However, if the budget is tight, the Antec is pretty nice for $80 CAN.
m
0
l
June 17, 2010 8:03:11 PM

Chuckles_ said:
Don't be so abrasive, Bob..


Sorry bout that.

I was kinda pissed cause Nowa was flaming me and being an ass.
m
0
l
!