Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD - 5.9 WEI.

Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2012 12:48:16 PM

Hello all,

My WD Scorpio Blue was recently having issues in my laptop, so I decided to replace it with an SSD.

I have purchased and installed an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD (Firmware 2.22), and I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7. Then, immediately after, I installed all the correct drivers for optimal performance.

Now, that my computer was ready, I decided to run W.E.I. just to see what my computer's score is, and to my surprise the Primary Hard Disk rating was a measly 5.9, same as my previous HDD. I have the exact same SSD on my desktop, and I am getting 7.7 - 7.8 on WEI.

Can anyone shed some light as to why this happens?

Thanks,

* I have made sure my BIOS has AHCI enabled, and should be SATA2 (compatible).

More about : ssd wei

a c 88 G Storage
August 5, 2012 12:55:03 PM

Having your old HDD installed will limit it to 5.9 even if you use your SSD most. WEI is a worthless metric
m
l
August 5, 2012 1:10:35 PM

Pinhedd said:
Having your old HDD installed will limit it to 5.9 even if you use your SSD most. WEI is a worthless metric

Right, I understand that.

As I had written in the post above, there is not HDD installed. There is only one (1) SSD installed, with a fresh copy of Windows 7.

Regardless of the useful/less-ness of WEI, I was asking why it shows as 5.9 as opposed to the actual score (7.7/7.8).

Anyway, I figured out the solution:

Download and install: Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) driver, from the intel website.

Install, restart, re-run WEI, voila! 7.7 for Primary Hard Disk.

Good day!
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2012 1:11:19 PM

I wish I could "Best Answer" my self...
m
l
a c 88 G Storage
August 5, 2012 1:23:49 PM

Yes the RST drivers are vastly superior to the Microsoft native drivers.

Sorry I misread your post
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 5, 2012 1:46:57 PM

rex000 said:
I wish I could "Best Answer" my self...

"Had Woody gone straight to the police, none of this would ever have happened!"
August 5, 2012 2:04:39 PM

Haha true, I did do research before hand!

But 9/10 posts were about TRIM, other HDDs, WEI doesn't matter, etc etc. Nothing helpful.
m
l
August 5, 2012 2:05:49 PM

Best answer selected by rex000.
m
l
!