Upgraded CPU now games Stutter?

David1054

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Just as the question says. I upgraded my CPU and now all the games i play start stuttering and hiccuping every 30 or so seconds...

Any clue why?

I upgraded from a phenom 8750 x3 to a phenom 2 955 BE
RAM: DDR2 667MHz
GPU: BFG GTX 260 216 OC Maxcore
HDD:7200 RPM 320GB Western Digital
Motherboard: Asus m2n68 am se2
my motherboard is pretty low end could that be why?

I recently ordered a new motherboard and ddr3 ram
but in the mean time....any clue why it does that?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Don't listen to greghome, he is wrong on all counts. the CPU is compatible with the MOBO, its not bottlenecked by AM2+, nor will it have an issue with the TDP of the chip. Someone is posting without having a clue...

what PSU do you have? Did you update the BIOS before installing the new chip? (i suspect this is the issue), did you reset BIOS settings (CMOS) to clear OC settings when you installed the new CPU?

EDIT: sounds like it could be a known issue. bad voltage regulation:

When running dual core processors they seem to work fine. I recently upgraded one to AthlonII X4-620 and the other to an X4-630 and that's when the problems began. Basically what happens is when any program calls for 100% CPU power the voltage to the CPU drops from 1.4v to 1.2v or less. The multiplier drops from 13x(14x on the 630) to 4x and the speed drops from 2.6 GHz(2.8 0n the 630)

could simply be the board not handling the high CPU loads, causing vDroop. id recommend using CPUz and looking at voltages while running Prime95.

David1054

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Yes... updated bios... but well the CPU is 125watt and my Motherboard is recomended for 95watt CPUs only... And i did clear all the bios reset them to default.
And i have Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU.

I ordered a MSI NF750 G55 Motherboard and new DDR3 ram....but it wont be here untill late monday or possibly tuesday...

So for now imonly browsing the web...and not playing any games.... i dont wanna screw the CPU up or something... =/

In the interim, you might try to control the cpu power via windows.
In the control panel/power management advanced section, you can set the maximum cpu% in a range of up to 100%. See what happens if you limit yourself to 50% or some such number.

David1054

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
So you bought a 125w cpu knowing your board only supports 95w cpu's? :eek:

You could have saved yourself a bunch of money by getting a PII 945 95w. You would not have had to buy a new mobo or new ram.

I had checked the asus website and it stated it Supported the CPU. But what i didnt see correctly was the one supported was the 95 watt version of it. Theirs like 6 versions of the 955...
I upgraded it thinking it would support it but untill i called asus they told me it wasnt supported.