Your question

ASUS P8P67 only recognizes 4Gbs out of 8Gbs installed

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Asus
  • BIOS
Last response: in Memory
March 10, 2011 12:02:14 AM

ASUS P8P67 Motherboard (BIOS version 0402)
4x 2Gb OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Gold Edition
Intel Core i5 2500k
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

My OS and BIOS only recognizes 4Gbs. With Windows 7 installed, my BIOS had recognized all 8Gbs but OS still did not. Now they both don't recognize all 8Gbs. I rotated the sticks to see if maybe one had a problem but that didn't do anything.

This is my first build and I've never updated BIOS before. How risky is it to update the BIOS? ASUS has some new releases but I don't know which, if any, could maybe help this problem. I've read speculations about ASUS and OCZ incompatibility and somewhere I had read a BIOS update could fix it. Anyone know what version that is? Do I have to install them in order or can I install the latest, which would include all other updates?a

More about : asus p8p67 recognizes 4gbs 8gbs installed

March 10, 2011 2:10:12 AM

Is your Windows the 32-bit or the 64-bit?

You might also try posting 2 at a time, and then switching one out, and posting again... Maybe 1 stick is causing the problem?

Can't answer the bios question.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 10, 2011 2:31:43 AM

Take all four sticks out.

Put two sticks in like so:
Slot 1 (closest to CPU): Empty
Slot 2: RAM
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: RAM

Boot up and see if the BIOS and Windows recognizes 4GB. If it does, great. Update the BIOS to the newest one (yes, you can go directly to the newest one) on the ASUS site. Once it's finished, reboot and go into the BIOS to check the RAM settings. Make sure the timings and voltage are correct. Save and exit, then boot into Windows and do a proper shutdown. Install the other two sticks and boot up. Go into the BIOS to make sure it recognizes all 8GB. If it doesn't, you may have a bad slot or a bad stick of RAM.
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2011 2:32:42 AM

You may also have to go in and manually set up your memory in bios.
If you go to Asus site and look at the bios for your board they usually have a description for what the different ones have addressed. They also should have a bios update tool listed under down loads.
m
l
March 10, 2011 7:13:30 PM

I have the SAME exact problem on my p55d deluxe... I can't figure it out. I've heard about this problem alot from ASUS users but nobody seems to have a clear cut answer.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 11, 2011 2:50:42 AM

Run a Memtest86+ one stick at a time.
http://www.memtest.org/
Errors indicate a faulty module
m
l
March 15, 2011 3:37:56 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Take all four sticks out.

Put two sticks in like so:
Slot 1 (closest to CPU): Empty
Slot 2: RAM
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: RAM

Boot up and see if the BIOS and Windows recognizes 4GB. If it does, great. Update the BIOS to the newest one (yes, you can go directly to the newest one) on the ASUS site. Once it's finished, reboot and go into the BIOS to check the RAM settings. Make sure the timings and voltage are correct. Save and exit, then boot into Windows and do a proper shutdown. Install the other two sticks and boot up. Go into the BIOS to make sure it recognizes all 8GB. If it doesn't, you may have a bad slot or a bad stick of RAM.

I finally reinstalled everything with only 4GB and updated to the latest BIOS version. I put another 2GB stick in Slot 1 to total 6GB. Everything recognized it when I started it up.

Now when I put a stick in Slot 3, my computer turns on but there is no beep from the Motherboard, the keyboard does not get power but the mouse does, and the monitor doesn't receive a signal. I've switched out the stick on Slot 3 and it still doesn't work - it is definitely a slot that is bad.

Is there anyway to fix this or do I have to get a new motherboard?
m
l
!