Your question

Need feedback on my choices for gaming PC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2010 5:29:55 PM

Hello,

I have just purchased the following items for a new build that is within my budget. I'd really like to get your opinions and critiques on my choices. Thank you!

Asus P7P55D Deluxe Mobo
Intel i5 750 CPU
Cooler Master Geminii S-RR-CCH-PBU1 HEAT SINK/FAN 5 copper heat pipes, 69CFM
Corsair DDR3 4 GB PC1600C7 (2x2GB)
WD500KSRTL 500GB SATA II 7200 RPM HD
64 GB V Series ings desktop Drive 200MB/s Read and 110 MB/s Write
XFX Radeon 5870 Graphics card
Cooler Master eXtreme Power 600W PS ATX 12V v2.3 Dual 12V rails
Antec 900 computer case
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I'll pick up a DVD/CD drive tomorrow at my local store. I don't recall its specs. If the 600W PSU is too small, my older computer has a 1000W SLI ready PSU that is not living up to its potential.

I appreciate your thoughts.

More about : feedback choices gaming

June 13, 2010 6:16:01 PM

Generally a solid build (good choice!) but i'd just questions a few parts.

I'd go for the P7P55D-E PRO instead as it's the same price but has new features such as USB3.

I'd also swap the Hard Drive for a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB as it's well known to be faster & there is very little price difference between the two.

I'd also swap out the Cooler Master Geminii for a different heatink such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ as the Geminii is quite old & not a great cooler in comparison to newer models.

I'd also change the PSU for a more reliable model such as the SeaSonic S12II 520W even if means spending a bit more, the power supply is very important.

Finally i'd probably change the antec 900 to the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced as it has better sound dampening & is $10 cheaper.
m
l
June 13, 2010 9:58:59 PM

I think he already bought all the stuff. So telling him what to get instead is useless. All in all you have a fine build mresegguie. Enjoy!
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2010 6:19:54 AM

overall, pretty good build.
m
l
June 14, 2010 7:37:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I did already buy the stuff, but if something were totally out of whack or incompatible, I could still return it for a refund.

I guess I was most concerned about my PSU's 600 watts' being powerful enough to carry the load. I wonder if it is powerful enough if I added a 2nd 5870. Well, that won't happen this month nor will it happen in 3 months, but I'd still like to know.

I bought from Fry's, so there was a certain limit on availability which determined what I would buy. I know about Tiger and Newegg. Fry's had this now, so I could build the system now.....not next week with mail order nor did I have to worry about RMA issues. Fry's tested the MB, RAM, and CPU to make sure they worked properly for $10. I felt that was worthwhile because I live 70 miles from the store.

Thanks!

Peace out.
m
l