Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do youerly clean your computer?

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2010 5:40:54 PM

I would like to know a good way to safely clean the inside of your computer with minimal risk of damaging the components.

More about : youerly clean computer

June 13, 2010 5:49:04 PM

The most commonly used way is to stock up on cans of compressed air, as they don't produce static and won't damage your expensive components.
m
l

Best solution

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2010 6:13:47 AM

You can find quite a few YouTube vidoes showing how to clean a PC using compressed canned air. Example from NCIX.com

Did you manage to fix your shut down / restart issue?
Related resources
June 14, 2010 12:56:16 PM

Compressed air is a good way, albeit not cheap, to clean out your case.

At work, we use one of these bad boys for all of our case blowing needs. Works like a charm. I'd say you equal the cost with a year worth of compressed canned air (if you're cleaning your case out monthly). http://www.nextag.com/Metro-Datavac-MDV-1BA-603454015/p...
m
l
June 14, 2010 1:25:19 PM

Is there a reason to not use a normal, ordinary air compressor?? Does it have to be canned compressed air??
m
l
June 14, 2010 1:35:53 PM

I've used canned air ($5.50 a can @ walmart) and it'd do about 2 cleanings before I had to buy a new can.... That's $60 a year just for my computer. Well, my dad, mom and brother also have computers that need cleaning out 1-2 times a month... So that's $240 a year in air cans...

I spent a little over $300 at Lowes and bought an air compressor and it works, better than can air too.... No problems so far... Just cant put the nozzle super close to the pc parts since it's got a lot more air pressure.
m
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2010 2:41:49 PM

Personally, I get by fine on cleaning the case every 6 months.
The 1 or 2 cleanings a month plan sound totally over the top to me.
m
l
June 14, 2010 2:59:39 PM

Beitzel15 said:
I've used canned air ($5.50 a can @ walmart) and it'd do about 2 cleanings before I had to buy a new can.... That's $60 a year just for my computer. Well, my dad, mom and brother also have computers that need cleaning out 1-2 times a month... So that's $240 a year in air cans...

I spent a little over $300 at Lowes and bought an air compressor and it works, better than can air too.... No problems so far... Just cant put the nozzle super close to the pc parts since it's got a lot more air pressure.

Have you had any problems with moisture?? water can build up in the tank of a generic air compressor..that's why you'll find the drain valve on the tank.

After working construction on hot, humid days, we would empty the tanks of our 8 hp ~ 20 gallon compressor...we'd usually see about 2 ounces spray out of the tanks.

That was my only concern before I started using my air compressor to clean out my computer...the moisture.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2010 3:47:06 PM

This is what i use,lightweight,portable,indespensible around the house.
Cleans cars,furnaces,fireplaces,you name it.
Powerful for blowing dust out of pc's.
Make sure it's empty and has a new filter.
Had mine for 6 yrs now.It used to be yellow and black and called the Stinger and sold at HomeDepot.
I also use it professionally on a daily basis in the HVAC trade.it's durable and not cheap junk.Even though the price is.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Catal...
m
l
June 17, 2010 1:50:28 AM

Best answer selected by vizering.
m
l
!