3- screen set up help!!

ralph_is_great

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Hello all,

I am new to posting on the forum, but have been browsing for a while and have always found a solution to any problems I have come across. This time, I am unsure of what I need.

I am currently in the process of building a 3 screen desktop to create an exhibition for a project at University. Basically we want to run 3 projectors as one large desktop.
I have tried searching the forums but am unable to find an answer, and wanted to make sure before i start spending money.

What I want to know is, will I be able to get another graphics card and run both? If so, does it matter what type? If someone can recommend a graphics card to me, I am hoping to go for the cheapest option, being a student!! :)

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Spec:

Windows 7 64bit
Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9550 (4 X 2.83GHz) 1333MHz FSB/12MB Cache
1024MB GEFORCE 9500GT DDR2 PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
ASUS P5Q PRO TURBO INTEL P45 (SOCKET 775) PCI-EXPRESS DDR2 MOTHERBOARD ( so there are 2 PCI E slots)
4 x 2GB 1066Mhz DDR2 RAM

Solution

As a general rule of thumb, don't mix ATI and nVidia in a single system unless you really know what you're doing, or expect to sit and troubleshoot with custom drivers for a while.

A single eyefinity card from ATI will drive 3 displays from a single card (I think one needs to either accept a DisplayPort input or you'll need a DisplayPort adapter), while any nVidia card will drive 2 monitors. If you already have an nVidia card, you should be able to buy a cheap second which you can add in to drive the 3rd display.

I'd recommend something from the lower end GeForce 200 series (GT 220?), but any nVidia card should do...

DarthAndroid

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

As a general rule of thumb, don't mix ATI and nVidia in a single system unless you really know what you're doing, or expect to sit and troubleshoot with custom drivers for a while.

A single eyefinity card from ATI will drive 3 displays from a single card (I think one needs to either accept a DisplayPort input or you'll need a DisplayPort adapter), while any nVidia card will drive 2 monitors. If you already have an nVidia card, you should be able to buy a cheap second which you can add in to drive the 3rd display.

I'd recommend something from the lower end GeForce 200 series (GT 220?), but any nVidia card should do - your local computer parts outlet should have one for $25ish if budget is really a limiting factor.

Solution