Failure of 'send to mail recipient' using default mail cli..

I am experiencing a really annoying (and tiny problem) and its driving me
mental.

I used to be able to right click on a file and choose 'mail recipient'
from the 'send to' menu. Doing this would open up a mail composition
window in my default mail client 'Mozilla Thunderbird).

Now, doing that does nothing.

I have not reinstalled Thunderbird, or changed my default mail client. I
have checked the properties of the start menu, and Thunderbird is listed
as default mail client. Thunderbird says it is the default when I open it
and check on Tools/Options. Outlook is installed but is set to not be the
default client. Similarly, Outlook Express is set to not be the default
client, not that I ever use that anyway. On the Tools/Programs menu
within Internet Options, Mozilla Thunderbird is listed as the default
mail client.

I have tried various things that I've found on teh intarwebs, such as
deleting and creating the mapi shortcut in the 'sendto' folder. I've
tried the regsvr options suggested too. All these changes were attempted
under the admin account.

Entering the mailto: command in start/run works no problem.

Any ideas?

--
*********************************
> David Qunt

More about failure send mail recipient default mail

    David,

    The Send To > Mapi Recipient involves a MAPI DLL file which comes with
    Thunderbird. Perhaps you may check with Mozilla forums for a resolution.
    Otherwise, from a working system with Thunderbird installed, note down the
    DLLPath here:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\<thunderbird>

    In the right-pane, note down the DLLPath value. If this value is blank, the
    Send To MAPI won't work.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "David Qunt" <davidqunt@spamtwatter.hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I am experiencing a really annoying (and tiny problem) and its driving me
    > mental.
    >
    > I used to be able to right click on a file and choose 'mail recipient'
    > from the 'send to' menu. Doing this would open up a mail composition
    > window in my default mail client 'Mozilla Thunderbird).
    >
    > Now, doing that does nothing.
    >
    > I have not reinstalled Thunderbird, or changed my default mail client. I
    > have checked the properties of the start menu, and Thunderbird is listed
    > as default mail client. Thunderbird says it is the default when I open it
    > and check on Tools/Options. Outlook is installed but is set to not be the
    > default client. Similarly, Outlook Express is set to not be the default
    > client, not that I ever use that anyway. On the Tools/Programs menu
    > within Internet Options, Mozilla Thunderbird is listed as the default
    > mail client.
    >
    > I have tried various things that I've found on teh intarwebs, such as
    > deleting and creating the mapi shortcut in the 'sendto' folder. I've
    > tried the regsvr options suggested too. All these changes were attempted
    > under the admin account.
    >
    > Entering the mailto: command in start/run works no problem.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > --
    > *********************************
    >> David Qunt

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> squirted these wordjisms deep
    inside the bumtube of the newstwat in

    > David,
    >
    > The Send To > Mapi Recipient involves a MAPI DLL file which comes with
    > Thunderbird. Perhaps you may check with Mozilla forums for a
    > resolution. Otherwise, from a working system with Thunderbird
    > installed, note down the DLLPath here:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\<thunderbird>
    >
    > In the right-pane, note down the DLLPath value. If this value is
    > blank, the Send To MAPI won't work.

    Yeah, thanks, unfortunately I've tried that. That key in my registry
    correctly points to mozMapi32.dll, in C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    Thunderbird. Deleting the key and re-creating it still doesn't work.

    I think I may need to do a regsvr command to unregister/re-register that
    dll, but I can't (be arsed to) work out the syntax.

    As a workaround I have created a shortcut to a mailto: link on my desktop
    which, when clicked, opens up a message composition winow in Thunderbird.
    That will do for now until I can be bothered trying to solve the issue -
    don't like to let things beat me, you see, unless they're dirty women ;)
    --
    *********************************
    > David Qunt

    Regsvr32 syntax:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regsvr32.mspx

    Usually: Regsvr32 <modulename>

    --

    > Regsvr32 syntax:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddoc
    > s/en-us/regsvr32.mspx
    >
    > Usually: Regsvr32 <modulename>

    Yeah, I tried that. Thought I had the syntax wrong, but I had it correct.

    Just tried it again, got this error message;

    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32.dll was loaded, but the
    DLLRegisterServer point was not found. This file cannot be registered.

    Grr....

    Just had a thought, last time I installed Thunderbird was from a user
    account but using the 'RunAs' command with admin credentials, am now
    going to uninstall Mozilla Thunderbird and re-install from directly
    within my admin account, and see if that works and registers the dll
    properly.

    Cheers for your help so far, much appreciated.

    --
    *********************************

    David Qunt <davidqunt@spamtwatter.hotmail.com> squirted these wordjisms

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> squirted these wordjisms
    > deep inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
    >
    >> Regsvr32 syntax:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddo
    >> c s/en-us/regsvr32.mspx
    >>
    >> Usually: Regsvr32 <modulename>
    >>

    > Yeah, I tried that. Thought I had the syntax wrong, but I had it
    > correct.
    >
    > Just tried it again, got this error message;
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32.dll was loaded, but the
    > DLLRegisterServer point was not found. This file cannot be registered.
    >
    > Grr....
    >
    > Just had a thought, last time I installed Thunderbird was from a user
    > account but using the 'RunAs' command with admin credentials, am now
    > going to uninstall Mozilla Thunderbird and re-install from directly
    > within my admin account, and see if that works and registers the dll
    > properly.
    >
    > Cheers for your help so far, much appreciated.

    OK I sorted this.

    However, to do so, I had to do basically rape my registry, deleting any
    keys referring to mapi whatsoever, with the exclusion of those which were
    very obviously directly tied into Windows. I.E., I left those keys
    referring to Outlook Express, but deleted links to any other mail
    clients, including Outlook, which I installed myself.

    For that reason, I'm not re-creating the steps I took.

    In my opinion I should be able to restore default mail client settings in
    one place, ie though 'Set program and access and defaults', rather than
    having three separate ways of doing this - Properties of start menu,
    Tools/Internet Options/Programs, and each mail client vying to be the
    default.

    Perhaps that's what the antitrust lawsuit that led to the 'set program
    access and defaults' option was meant to achieve? ;)

    --
    > David Qunt

Configuration Default Thunderbird Windows XP