First time builder - gaming PC

ivieteora

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Edit: Please read all of thread as half of this information is now incorrect

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next few weeks

BUDGET: Not really got a budget but hoping for ~£500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing the Internet, Microsoft only software.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Just looking to build the tower, I have a case from current PC but not sure if it will be compatible, also it lays flat and I would prefer a tower so it takes up less room.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I use amazon.co.uk a lot and really like it, but I don't know how useful it will be and will happily shop elsewhere. (I'm in UK)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Not really, I'll just take your advice.

OVERCLOCKING, SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Whatever is best for performance/cost ratio.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Need to get one of these as well but wasn't including in the budget, advice would be appreciated.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I only have Windows 7, if that makes a difference. Will mainly be playing WoW and RTS games, as I have an XBox, I'm hoping this means I won't need to spend so much.

I just really need advice as there's so many choices and I don't know where to start. Also is it worth trying to sell parts of my old PC? That would mean I could spend more on the new computer.
Please tell me if I missed anything or you need more information.

Off Ebuyer UK
Untitled-177.jpg

Hit at least a 16:9 20" LCD and game on ^^

ivieteora

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion, :D I'd almost given up. The build looks pretty good.
Also I have been thinking and discussing with friends, (and just got a bank statement) and I would to go up to around £1000 (would have to include monitor) if it is possible to get one which will last about 5 years (with some upgrades) and a year or so without needing to upgrade. This should make things easier at uni where I will be starting end of next year (and staying for 3/4 years), and will probably not be taking my Xbox. Any opinion on this is greatly appreciated, as I am certain you know a lot more than my friends. ;)

If you can up your budget to roughly £1000 then I'd make the following changes to batuchka's build. Change the CPU to a AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz MBOX £132.
A terabyte HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB ~£55.
A faster graphics card: HD-585X-ZNFA 5850 1GB DDR5 £240. You can skip this change if the resolution of the monitor you get is below 1920x1080.
Which would cost ~£200 more, totaling ~ £690.

You could also get a mobo and PSU capable of crossfiring for less than £100 more.
XFX 650W XXX Edition £70
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 890GX £114
Which would bring the total up to around £750.

ivieteora

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks for the input, looks good. I am presuming the crossfiring is for adding another card graphics card in the future?
I've been browsing the monitors for sale, and am looking for something like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179807 (I need HDMI for Xbox)
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a with better value for money, as that would bump me up most of the way to my budget. Also I don't really understand all the specs. :(

I would suggest looking at cases, because you might find something that you like more.

I just noticed that the Asrock has the two fast PCI-E slots quite close to each other - the two blues ones. If you put a double slot graphics card into the first slot it would be right on top of the second card, which might cause some heat issues. Altho there are going to be heat issues with two graphics cards anyway.
If you want another option for a crossfire capable mobo, then this one is a bit cheaper than the Asus: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX £105

SpeedHunter_2010

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
it should be more quality , the Gigabyte mobo has more latest chipset than the Asrock mobo , i will make my new rig with the same Gigabyte mobo, and double slot graphics card is a card that occupies two slots at the back of ur pc case ( where u conect ur LCD from ur card , thats the slots , the one u remove to instal ur card )

I drew a paint diagram to show you roughly what each configuration would look like. Basically there is more potential for cool air to get to both graphics cards on the Gigabyte than the Asrock.

The XFX is definitely the best one there, as it performs very well - very safe to use, is modular, is more efficient and is cheaper, especially if you can get it for £70.