Can I Just Format a PW Protected HD?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 5:41:57 PM

After my last experience with the Power-On-Password thing, I want to
ask if I get a HD on Ebay that says it is password protected, can I
just fdisk it, and reformat after that, so that I can use it? Thanks
again!!

More about : format protected

October 20, 2004 7:18:27 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:41:57 -0500, Mumbato
<mumbatoNO-SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>After my last experience with the Power-On-Password thing, I want to
>ask if I get a HD on Ebay that says it is password protected, can I
>just fdisk it, and reformat after that, so that I can use it? Thanks
>again!!

Everything I've read about password protected hard drives says that
won't work. Now if the drive comes with the password..... and why
would anyone sell a hard drive without the password unless the drive
is stolen?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 9:03:57 PM

I know if it is an IBM, you cannot do anything about the password. If
it is a Seagate than Fdisk/reformat will work. Im not sure about
other brands.
a b D Laptop
October 21, 2004 2:00:19 AM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:18:27 -0500, Charlie <invalid@invalid.com>
wrote:

>Everything I've read about password protected hard drives says that
>won't work. Now if the drive comes with the password..... and why
>would anyone sell a hard drive without the password unless the drive
>is stolen?

Well, it's a PowerSeller on Ebay who has the auction, and I doubt if
he/she makes a habit of selling stolen goods. Perhaps it is a Leased
unit that someone set up a password on, then turned the unit in, and
it was sold as a liquidation unit? Granted, there ARE a lot of
thieves in the World, however, it is my opinion that not EVERYONE is a
thief.....

In any event, thank you for your reply. I have decided not to
purchase the drive, because of the general consensus. Many thanks!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 21, 2004 2:01:07 AM

On 20 Oct 2004 17:03:57 -0400, y057@netscape-dot-net.no-spam.invalid
(RandyPerrone) wrote:

>I know if it is an IBM, you cannot do anything about the password. If
>it is a Seagate than Fdisk/reformat will work. Im not sure about
>other brands.

Thank you for the reply!! I believe I'll pass on that *good* deal
then... :-)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 21, 2004 3:23:36 PM

"Mumbato" <mumbatoNO-SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 20 Oct 2004 17:03:57 -0400, y057@netscape-dot-net.no-spam.invalid
> (RandyPerrone) wrote:
>
> >I know if it is an IBM, you cannot do anything about the password. If
> >it is a Seagate than Fdisk/reformat will work. Im not sure about
> >other brands.
>
> Thank you for the reply!! I believe I'll pass on that *good* deal
> then... :-)

Would it be possible to put that drive in a desktop machine as a slave, then
format and fdisk it from there?

jak

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 22, 2004 2:57:44 AM

jakdedert wrote:
> "Mumbato" <mumbatoNO-SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>On 20 Oct 2004 17:03:57 -0400, y057@netscape-dot-net.no-spam.invalid
>>(RandyPerrone) wrote:
>>

>>>I know if it is an IBM, you cannot do anything about the password. If
>>>it is a Seagate than Fdisk/reformat will work. Im not sure about
>>>other brands.
>>
>>Thank you for the reply!! I believe I'll pass on that *good* deal
>>then... :-)
>>

> Would it be possible to put that drive in a desktop machine as a slave, then
> format and fdisk it from there?

You won't be able to. I think the password protection intervenes between
the drive's firmware and the actual h/w interface, so that the host BIOS
won't even see the disk.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 22, 2004 3:39:16 AM

In general, no. When drives have a password, from poweron, the ONLY IDE
command that they will accept is password unlock. Until that command is
issued (with the correct password), they won't even respond to an IDE
"identify drive" command, which means that they won't even be seen by
the BIOS for normal file transfer services. You can't do anything with
them, you can't even format them.

!