A few questions (Heatsink, GPU, Monitor)

SSW

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
So, I'm not really asking for advice on a full build here (Done this before, so I have it mostly sorted out. I think), but I do have a few questions about certain parts.

1. The monitor/graphics card. I'm not exactly setting up a monster build, so I'm looking both at 1440x900 and 1680x1050 monitor sizes. I understand that a few very demanding games will be exceptions, but... for the most part, would a Radeon 5770 game reasonably well at the larger resolution? From what I've seen, it should, but just checking. And while I'm here... I'm looking at an ASUS CuCore 5770, but I hear the cooler on that is actually not very good. How much truth is there to that? (I wouldn't mind some monitor recommendations either, actually, if anyone has a reasonably cheap one they'd recommend at around that size)

2. The heatsink. I'm looking at a Phenom II x3 720 OEM processor, so I'll need an aftermarket cooler. I notice newegg has a very good price and rebate on the Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 CoreContactFreezer. I hear that this is a good cooler and will handle a pretty good overclock, but that it can get a bit loud. Is that actually much of a problem, and if so, what are some good quieter heatsinks that'd fit an Antec 300 Illusion? I don't want to break the budget on the heatsink, but I'm willing to spend a bit more on it, maybe something like 40-45 bucks if I'll get a better result out of something in that range.

Thanks!

Solution
1) ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor looks like a good 1680x1050 monitor.

I can't speak on the cooling ability of the ASUS card. It looks good but I typically stick to the big two when dealing with ATI, which is XFX and Sapphire.
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

2) I would go with this cooler.... Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler. It is one of the better coolers on the market (renaming of the Mugen 2 Rev. B), so you won't go wrong with it.

The Sunbeam is still a very good...

tecmo34

Administrator
1) ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor looks like a good 1680x1050 monitor.

I can't speak on the cooling ability of the ASUS card. It looks good but I typically stick to the big two when dealing with ATI, which is XFX and Sapphire.
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

2) I would go with this cooler.... Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler. It is one of the better coolers on the market (renaming of the Mugen 2 Rev. B), so you won't go wrong with it.

The Sunbeam is still a very good cooler and I wouldn't read too much into the noise issues. Everyone conciders noise at a different levels acceptable. If you get it and think the fan is too loud, just upgrade to a quieter fan, problem solved.

Solution