Asus M3A78-T MB and HD5870 VaporX Bottleneck?

Any one have this is issue w/a M3A78-T MB and a HD5870 VaporX having video
performance degradation? I recently upgraded my graphics card from a Sapphire
HD 4870 1GB, to a HD5870 1GB VaporX OC. I’m experiencing no gains in FPS,
am I missing something here? I’ve gone through two 5870 VaporX cards thinking
the first one was bad I RMA’d it and just installed it’s replacement loading the latest
drivers, I’m still experiencing the same FPS as the first card. Is there something that
maybe I need to change in my BIOS to allow the VaporX to reach it’s full potential.
I've used CPUZ to and verified that my 5870 is indeed running at 16x.

My gaming System:

MB M3A78-T w/Phenom 2.6 Quad
4GB G.Skill
HD5870 VaporX
OS Vista 64
Ultra 1000 watt power supply
500 GB Western Digital Black
922 HAF
7 answers Last reply
More about asus m3a78 hd5870 vaporx bottleneck
  1. dude, when u say same FPS, do you mean 60 FPS??? & if yes, then in each game, turn off VSync, you'll see massive difference.
  2. what games?
    Does it happen in other games as well?
  3. This actuly happens in all games when v-sync is on. enabling vsynch locks the frame-rate of the games to equivalent to the refresh rate of the screen or equivalent to half the refresh rate of the screen, to disable any kind of tearing.
  4. wa1 said:
    what games?
    Does it happen in other games as well?

I currently don’t have another game installed other than Age Of Conan, I thought I was possibly having
    A driver issue so I did a fresh install of my OS and only installed one game so far.
  5. mactabilis shaan said:
    This actuly happens in all games when v-sync is on. enabling vsynch locks the frame-rate of the games to equivalent to the refresh rate of the screen or equivalent to half the refresh rate of the screen, to disable any kind of tearing.

Hi, my FPS is averaging around 35-50 with my HD5870 VaporX which was about the same with my HD4870. I would think that I shouldn’t have any issue w/FPS considering I have such a high end card. I’ve even turned down a lot of things like shaders etc…, I’ll try your V-sync idea out though and see how that goes when I get back from travel. Thanks for the reply and ideas!
  6. so?? did you try disabling vsync?
  7. oh,, ok, didnt read that post there. i used to have a 4890 & never used to get abouve 60fps ( thats the refresh rate of my monitor, 60Hz) in any games with all settings highest & vsync on, it remained the same with 5870 as well, then i read about vsync. now in games i have high fps, even with 4890 i get 140-180 in batman & with 5870 i get 280-300. so much for keeping vsync enabled.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics