akhilmangala

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I am planning to buy a 2TB hard disk and i don't know which one to buy.
I want a hard disk which can last longer(3-4 years).
It should have average performance(i will buy a SSD in the future for installing the OS).
It sould have a low price tag as i have to save money for buying an SSD.
Most money value.
Please help.
Does 7200rpm hard disk has greate performance difference compared to 5400rpm hard disks ?
Does SATA3 hard disk has greate performance difference compared to SATA2 hard disks ?

Solution
No hard disk can deliver data as fast as the SATA II (more properly, SATA 3.0 Gb/s) maximum data transfer rate, so the double max rate for SATA 6.0 Gb/s means nothing for any spinning HDD. If you have a choice, do not pay extra for the 6.0 Gb/s newest models.

xtreme5

Distinguished
yes, sata III are physically better than sata II
sata III has 6.0Gb/s data transfer rate while sata II is half of that it transfer 3Gb/s, but that doesn't really matter 7200rpm mean (revolution per minute) HDD with 7200rpm spins 7200 times/minute same story of 5400rpm when it comes to rpm you wouldn't notice the difference definitely.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No hard disk can deliver data as fast as the SATA II (more properly, SATA 3.0 Gb/s) maximum data transfer rate, so the double max rate for SATA 6.0 Gb/s means nothing for any spinning HDD. If you have a choice, do not pay extra for the 6.0 Gb/s newest models.

Solution