Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual core or triple core cpu

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 13, 2010 4:19:37 PM

hi im soon building a new pc for gta 4 and i need to know which of these cpus
would run it best here are the specs
amd athlon 2 245dual core 2.9ghz
amd athlon 2 250dual core 3ghz
AMD ATHLON X2 7850 2.8 ghz
ATHLON II X2 255 3.1ghz
ATHLON II X2 260 3.2ghz
ATHLON II X2 240E 2.8ghz
AMD Athlon II X3 440 3ghz
amd ATHLON II X3 445 3.1GHZ
here are the rest of the pc specs
as rock alivexfire mobo
4gb kingston hyperx 1066mhz ram
radeon hd5450 1gb graphics card


August 13, 2010 4:35:01 PM

Looks like you're on a budget :) 

Generally speaking, more cores = better. There are some exceptions however, such as some applications or games not being able to fully take advantage of all of the CPU's cores, could be due to things like old game engines or the way it was written.
I would say get the Athlon II X3 445, but if you're willing to spend just 10 bucks or so more, you could get a Quad core: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 13, 2010 4:41:17 PM

Drakoes said:
Looks like you're on a budget :) 

Generally speaking, more cores = better. There are some exceptions however, such as some applications or games not being able to fully take advantage of all of the CPU's cores, could be due to things like old game engines or the way it was written.
I would say get the Athlon II X3 445, but if you're willing to spend just 10 bucks or so more, you could get a Quad core: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

yeah im on a tiny budget would this run gta 4 definitly
Related resources
August 13, 2010 4:45:41 PM

yes, should be fine - even the recommended system requirements on the game's page prefers players to be on a quad core
August 13, 2010 5:43:01 PM

If you can, buy an AM3 processor and mobo. This will give you 2600 Mhz transit speed and the ability to run up to DDR3 2000Mhz ram later on in addition to a much faster northbridge. The Athalon II's can come as an AM3 processor for as little as $60 (see this link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). Then by a mobo that has the latest AMD northbridge chipset so you can later upgrade to a 6-core Phenom processor without having to purcahse anything else. (This is how I build mine.) So, you could buy a 790FX mobo like this one for about $130...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2010 7:49:28 PM

GTA 4 like a number of other console ports make good use of a tripple core processor, and like a few other games really struggles on a dual core. Go with the Athlon II X3 out of your choices.
August 14, 2010 3:14:48 AM

^1+ not sure though how well you'll be able to play it though with only an Ati 5450
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 14, 2010 3:45:00 AM

HD 5450 will have problems with GTA4 and most other games.

a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 12:22:21 PM

Go with the Athlon II X3 440/445. Really nice little budget gaming CPU's. And get something like a HD5670 to run GTA4 properly on high settings.
August 14, 2010 11:52:39 PM

unknown_13 said:
Go with the Athlon II X3 440/445. Really nice little budget gaming CPU's. And get something like a HD5670 to run GTA4 properly on high settings.

how about a ati hd 4850
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 14, 2010 11:56:36 PM

HD 4850 is a really good choice.
And will be a great match for an ATHLON II X3 440 or 445.
August 15, 2010 12:26:52 AM

WR2 said:
HD 4850 is a really good choice.
And will be a great match for an ATHLON II X3 440 or 445.

do you know if phenom 2 555 x2 is a x4 is true
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 15, 2010 12:44:36 AM

I don't know about the LE model but the regular ASUS M4A78L-M supports ACC and core-unclocking. Look under the Specs tab for ACC Support.
Gives you a shot at unlocking a 3rd or 4th core if you're lucky.
August 15, 2010 12:52:57 AM

skip all X2 dual cores... they will not handle that GTA 4 well... yeah go for X3 or if possible PII X4..........
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 10:01:45 AM

dj1997 said:
how about a ati hd 4850


Yeah good card i have one:)  Though it will exhaust more heat and use lot more power than the HD 5670.
August 17, 2010 12:44:36 AM

5670 (and of course the 5450) is waste of money for someone that takes gaming seriously . HD4850 + Athlon II X3 440 is the way to go.
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2013 5:43:08 AM

I used to plat GTA 4 on old athlon 64 dual core CPU and ati 5450 at 15fps and believe it or not I even finished the campaign.
!