Sign in with
Your question

Help! Cant figure out why my computer randomly shuts down

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2010 10:34:26 PM

Hi, yesterday I upgraded my motherboard and CPU to an Intel DP55KG and Core i7 860. I did a complete reinstall of windows 7, only to find that my computer would randomly shut down (no BSOD, no event log, etc.) Sometimes it happens after a few seconds, other times after a minute or so when windows is fully loaded. I have tried unplugging everything that is not essential, nothing changed. I ran a memtest on my RAM (3GB DDR3 ValueRam) with no errors. However, when I only run 1 stick (1gb) it has not shut down unexpectedly yet (At least 2 hours use). As soon as I install the other one or two sticks the problem comes back.

Edit: I forgot to mention also that I have checked my CPU temps, and even under 100% load they do not exceed 50C.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is the ram bad even though it passed the memtest or is there something wrong with the motherboard/CPU?

Thanks!
June 14, 2010 12:04:00 AM

Hi ndame09

Can you give me all details about config:

Motherboard, memory, video card, PSU ect.

Since the only thing that has been changed is the processor, i'd say that it has something to do with that...

or power supply might nee more juice...

Are both RAM same model?

did you try to reset the Bios or update it....

see specs sheet of mobo and version to see if it compatible to Intel DP55KG and Core i7 860

What program do you use to monitor temps?

Thx and good luck
m
l
June 14, 2010 1:51:11 PM

dextermat said:
Hi ndame09

Can you give me all details about config:

Motherboard, memory, video card, PSU ect.

Since the only thing that has been changed is the processor, i'd say that it has something to do with that...

or power supply might nee more juice...

Are both RAM same model?

did you try to reset the Bios or update it....

see specs sheet of mobo and version to see if it compatible to Intel DP55KG and Core i7 860

What program do you use to monitor temps?

Thx and good luck

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: Intel DP55KG
CPU: Intel i7 860
GPU: Diamond ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5
PSU: Antec 550W
HD: WD Velociraptor 300GB
RAM: 3x1GB Kingston Value Ram

Other than the above, I have 2xDVD drives, a wireless card and 2 other hard drives.

I changed both the motherboard (Previously DX48BT2) and CPU (Previously Intel Q6600). I updated and reset the bios. Also, the motherboard is fully compatible with the CPU. To monitor the temps, I used both Intel's utility as well as CPU Temp (i think that was what it was called). I ran a stress test on both CPU and memory with CPU temps maxing out at 60C under full load.

Thanks!
m
l
!