Newly built computer keeps freezing

EdiblePwncakes

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I just put together a custom computer and after installing the OS and everything set the computer randomly freezes every 20 -30 minutes or so. The mouse is unresponsive and doesn't move, and the keyboard doesn't work. The only option is to hard reset through the PC case and again it loads the OS fine with no errors, only to freeze again within 30 minutes. I've tried replacing my video card with the onboard video and the freezing still occurs. I've checked the memory with memtest86+ tests and everything seems to be fine. I'm really not sure what to do at this point, so any help would be appreciated.

Here are my specs:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AMD Motherboard
MSI Nvidia GTS 250 1GB
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6 Ghz
Samsung 1TB HDD
Corsair 550W PSU
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600 (12800) SDRAM

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
That sounds like an overheating/processor stability problem. If you overclocked, set it back to normal and do a CMOS Reset.
One thing you could try is Intel Burn Test (http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v1.6-download-2047.html) which is a stress testing program for CPUs. I use it all the time for testing overclocks, and it just shuts down the computer if it's unstable. If it does this after you've done a CMOS reset, I would RMA the Cpu.

EdiblePwncakes

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't overclocked the processor but I went ahead and tried the Burn Test. It doesn't shut down the PC like you said so I'm not entirely sure if the processor is at fault. I also reseted the BIOS and the problem still occurs. Could it be a faulty motherboard perhaps? I'm thinking of RMAing it as it's the only component along with the cpu I think is causing the problem.

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I it didn't turn off during the burn test, you can pretty much rule out the CPU. It could be a bad capacitor on the motherboard. I would say that, since you already ran memtest, it's probably the motherboard. Bad caps do cause this type of thing to happen, but it doesnt happen very often.

Did you manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated values in the BIOS? Which exact Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM kit do you have? I've seen a number of unstable systems pass Memtest86+ but be unstable under normal use. Manually setting the RAM settings usually solves the problem. If you post the exact model number of your RAM then we can look up the specs for it. It will also have a sticker on the side that lists the rated values.

Yes, your RAM is rated to run at 1.65v so you should manually set it to 1.65v in the BIOS. Asus calls the DDR3 RAM voltage "Memory OverVoltage" in the BIOS. Your RAM is rated to run at 1600MHz, so you should be able to set it to that speed once you get the voltage set correctly.

EdiblePwncakes

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks again, I was really hoping this would work but it didn't. In fact it froze sooner than normal when switching to 1.65 V. I also tried several combinations of speed and voltage, like 1033/1600 MHz and 1.5 V, nothing worked. I've decided I'm just going to RMA the motherboard and see what happens.