Sensible, small, fast system?

Hello,
Does it make any sense to mate an Atom330+NVIDIA ION motherboard to a SSD hard drive (64GB, say) running Windows 7 (Home Premium), with 4GB memory? I'm not into heavy games at all; but I do some video editing (using Pinnacle Studio). I also run statistical software with graphics (e.g., R) -- this doesn't seem to tax my system too much.

Thanks for any comments you may have.
5 answers Last reply
More about sensible small fast system
  1. Data access time would be shortened so speed boost would probably be noticeable.
  2. Atoms struggle the moment your needs grow outside surfing the net / word processing so negative Apps loading times would be made moot by task execution/completion times @@
  3. as batuchka said, Atoms are incredibly weak processors.

go for a core i3, or an athlon II.
  4. wardster41 said:
    Hello,
    Does it make any sense to mate an Atom330+NVIDIA ION motherboard to a SSD hard drive (64GB, say) running Windows 7 (Home Premium), with 4GB memory? I'm not into heavy games at all; but I do some video editing (using Pinnacle Studio). I also run statistical software with graphics (e.g., R) -- this doesn't seem to tax my system too much.

Thanks for any comments you may have.

I think not.

Statistical programs and video editing can be cpu intensive. The atom is cheap but weak,
    I would look to one of the 32nm clarkdale cpu's. The G6950 or i3-530 with integrated graphics would be very good.
    I love the idea of a SSD for the OS. You need about 15gb for the OS. If all of your files can fit on 32gb or 64gb, then a ssd is a great idea. Otherwise, I suggest a 40gb ssd for the os, and a larger cheap conventional hard drive for your data.
  5. Thanks for the advice! It looks like the SSD is a good idea, but won't compensate entirely for a weak processor. So, I'm thinking I should look for an i3 or i5 with decent on-board graphics as a mobo. I seriously doubt that any video I put together will be longer than 45 min to 1 hr. SFF appeals to me, so I'm thinking mini ATX.

This isn't going to happen real soon, but maybe later this year. I suppose a lot will change from now till then....
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems