Sign in with
Your question

Sensible, small, fast system?

Last response: in Systems
June 14, 2010 12:17:13 AM

Hello,
Does it make any sense to mate an Atom330+NVIDIA ION motherboard to a SSD hard drive (64GB, say) running Windows 7 (Home Premium), with 4GB memory? I'm not into heavy games at all; but I do some video editing (using Pinnacle Studio). I also run statistical software with graphics (e.g., R) -- this doesn't seem to tax my system too much.

Thanks for any comments you may have.

More about : small fast system

a c 103 B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2010 2:28:00 AM

Data access time would be shortened so speed boost would probably be noticeable.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2010 8:45:21 AM

Atoms struggle the moment your needs grow outside surfing the net / word processing so negative Apps loading times would be made moot by task execution/completion times @@
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2010 8:48:23 AM

as batuchka said, Atoms are incredibly weak processors.

go for a core i3, or an athlon II.
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2010 3:23:59 PM

wardster41 said:
Hello,
Does it make any sense to mate an Atom330+NVIDIA ION motherboard to a SSD hard drive (64GB, say) running Windows 7 (Home Premium), with 4GB memory? I'm not into heavy games at all; but I do some video editing (using Pinnacle Studio). I also run statistical software with graphics (e.g., R) -- this doesn't seem to tax my system too much.

Thanks for any comments you may have.

I think not.

Statistical programs and video editing can be cpu intensive. The atom is cheap but weak,
I would look to one of the 32nm clarkdale cpu's. The G6950 or i3-530 with integrated graphics would be very good.
I love the idea of a SSD for the OS. You need about 15gb for the OS. If all of your files can fit on 32gb or 64gb, then a ssd is a great idea. Otherwise, I suggest a 40gb ssd for the os, and a larger cheap conventional hard drive for your data.
June 15, 2010 3:52:37 PM

Thanks for the advice! It looks like the SSD is a good idea, but won't compensate entirely for a weak processor. So, I'm thinking I should look for an i3 or i5 with decent on-board graphics as a mobo. I seriously doubt that any video I put together will be longer than 45 min to 1 hr. SFF appeals to me, so I'm thinking mini ATX.

This isn't going to happen real soon, but maybe later this year. I suppose a lot will change from now till then....
!