Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive fried, Is the whole computer fried?

Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2012 11:15:06 PM

So, recently I was helping my brother with his new power supply and we installed everything correctly (I know this because it's the same method I used when building my computer and it works just fine) but I was curious if just the hard drive is fried or the whole computer is fried.

Because when we installed all the components, we turned the computer on and the hard drive sparked and smoke came out of it. I instantly powered the computer off the second I noticed the spark, but I'm wondering if that messed the entire computer up or just the hard drive. I wanted to test the hard drive in my computer, but is it possible that it can damage my components? Or will it just simply not work since the hard drive fried and it can fry other components as well.

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow
August 6, 2012 6:56:05 AM

fzabkar said:
See http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/TVS_diode_FAQ.html

... and http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD (photo clips)

You didn't say why you were replacing the original PSU, but if it is faulty, then it could be that it killed the HDD. Otherwise the new PSU should be suspect.

There was nothing wrong with his previous power supply, it was just that he got a new GPU and needed more power to support it, so he went and got a new PSU.

But after we setup everything, we powered the computer and the HDD sparked and smoke came out and we instantly powered it off.

I'm just curious if I can test the HDD on my computer and see if it still works without damaging my other components.

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a c 288 G Storage
August 6, 2012 7:11:22 AM

If you have a multimeter, then measure the resistance between ground and each of the HDD's +5V and +12V inputs. If there is a short, then this will shut down the PSU. In such cases the fans will kick once and stop. A short circuit on any supply rail should not damage the PSU, but you never know.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 6, 2012 7:18:29 AM

fzabkar said:
If you have a multimeter, then measure the resistance between ground and each of the HDD's +5V and +12V inputs. If there is a short, then this will shut down the PSU. In such cases the fans will kick once and stop. A short circuit on any supply rail should not damage the PSU, but you never know.

That does depend on the quality of the PSU and the level of protection built in.

What is the make/model of the new PSU?

Q
m
l
!