Looking for good video card suggestions

SHTK13

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I am looking for a new video card that runs a little smoother than my msi 9800gx2

the motherboard im using is P35 neo2 fr im looking for something that will run better and cooler as the card i have now runs hot and i have been having issues with running it multi gpu and getting a black screen

So if anyone could hook me up with some nice suggestions for either single or sli setups it would be greatly appreciated.

P35 does not support SLI. Your second PCIE slot runs at X4, so it is not suitable for Crossfire either.
A HD5770 is on the same performance tier as what you have, but will definitely run cooler. If you want better performance, a HD5870 would be a nice jump, but is expensive.

Edit: Well then, you can get a HD5870 with your budget. If you've been running a 9800GX2, you shouldn't need a PSU upgrade. What brand/model is your PSU?

The HD5870 is seriously your recommendation for 1680x1050...?
I would just get an HD5770, it will be great for that resolution. If you really want something better an HD5850 is the most you should be considering. It should last you several years of maxing out pretty much everything, especially if you OC. Both of those cards are extremely power efficient and give off little heat.

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008

so you would "upgrade" to a 5770 from a 9800gx2? :) i have a 5850 @ 950/1250 and i still dont max all games with 60 fps at 1280x1024 for example metro2033 , crysis, i have said this several times :) i think people is underestimating the gpu vs resolution thingy.

I didn't say it was an upgrade, I said it's a great card for his resolution and it is. The OP asked for something that runs better because he having issues with the multi-gpu/heat factor of the 9800gx2.
As for Crysis and Metro 2033 those are the two most intensive games in existence, by a long shot. Spending tons of money so you can max out AA in 2 games isn't exactly what I would call money well spent.

SHTK13

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

the power supply is a coolmax greenpower 1200 watt

SHTK13

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Sorry guys went out for dinner with the wifey but i would like something i can run the same as this card i have to play my game single gpu with this card i can run single gpu at 60fps with any game out there on max settings but still i get the 89-105c temps and sometimes black screens i would like something that will LOOK amazing and also not have to worry about anything melting thats my issue right now

notty22

Distinguished
9800gx2 is a fairly powerful card.
IMO, I would troubleshoot your heat 'problem' a little bit. Take apart your rig, cleaning the intake vents, remove the video card, and use some compressed air on the fan/blower. I'm sure you will see a load of dust/debris fly out . I did this after 5 months on my new computer, there wasn't a whole lot, but a lot of fine dust seem to blow out. My older rig, it had been 19 months, it was a mess.

SHTK13

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
i cannot take the card apart because when i sent it in the first time to msi they stripped the screws putting it back together i was going to do just what you said but meh

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Oh, okay. Well, I don't have any games right now. Do you have to pay to use Crysis?

I would probably only get Crysis and maybe Left For Dead and Call of Duty. I might get a sports game, too, but most games can handle that?

For comparison and for examining real numbers, I looked up benchmarks for the HD 5770 and HD 5850 using Crysis and 1680x1050 resolution (DirectX 10, too). I would be using either a 20" or 22" monitor.

This is how it looks (I rounded off numbers since most sources displayed relatively the same stats):

0xAA
5770 - 32 fps (avg.), 20 fps (min.)
5850 - 47 fps (avg.), 30 fps (min.)
both are 1GB cards

4xAA
5770 - 27 fps, 15 fps
5850 - 39 fps, 22 fps

I'm not sure how much the reduction in frame rate (frames) effects quality of the gaming experience but if 30 fps is fine for Crysis, I'm inclined to go with a cheaper card. However, the more expensive card, the HD 5850 seems to keep you at min. of 40 fps. I guess I'm wondering about the comparison of 30 v.s. 40 and what the difference is, if any. The price of the HD 5770 is a bit easier on the pocket book, for sure, though. I'm just curious how the cards compare.

Hmmm, here I was typing up a long response and I suddenly realized, the OP didn't say jack squat about Crysis. Canuck1, if you have questions, please start your own thread.
To the OP, often I tend to be a voice for frugality, but if you can afford it, you may not want to risk kicking yourself for months because you "settled" for less than you really wanted. If your 9800GX2 has provided all the raw performance you need, then a HD5770 will offer similar performance and should completely solve your heat issues. Only if you want more performance, for example if it's for the sake of future-resistance, should you consider anything stronger like a HD5850.

SHTK13

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I'm very sorry i havent replied today i have been in the hospital with my mother who's really sick.

Only a lighter side i can play crysis at max settings but the card overheats i personally think that when msi got ahold of the card they messed up something inside like maybe forgetting to put more thermal paste of or something but ever since i got the card back its been worse than when i sent it to them and i tried calling to get it fixed but they said my warrenty is up which is bs because its a 3 year warranty and i havent had this card more than about 20 months