what is it with lara and vehicles

what do the snowmachine, land rover, quad bike, and motorcycle all have in
common? ans. they all explode when they hit water. the Q is why. is it the
'lucas' electrical system? or something else. I might believe the
snowmachine (hot engine + cold water) but the others should be able to stand
some water. don't even get me started on the subject of the land rover and
it's bald tyres(grrr)
rex

"Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
message news:WJP%d.434368$w62.211907@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
> what do the snowmachine, land rover, quad bike, and motorcycle all
> have in common? ans. they all explode when they hit water. the Q is
> why. is it the 'lucas' electrical system? or something else. I might
> believe the snowmachine (hot engine + cold water) but the others
> should be able to stand some water. don't even get me started on the
> subject of the land rover and it's bald tyres(grrr)
> rex

Maybe they created their own noddy physics this way so they wouldn't
have to deal with what would happen IF we managed to do something they
hadn't planned on or otherwise didn't want to happen. Call it Planned
Damage Control to the game ;)
Such as driving the snowmobile at a furious rate of
speed...underwater...to parts unknown.
McG.

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, Kieran mentioned

>>> Kieran
>>
>> You may be right about that, but they could have done it better.
>> If you get a vehicle stuck in the water and you need it to finish
>> the level, it could become like movable block until it sits on dry
>> land again. That way Lara could get off and drag it back out of
>> the water. In the case of a large vehicle like a jeep, it could
>> just get stuck in the mud, but can be backed out (with difficulty,
>> of course). This would not only be more realistic, but to my mind
>> would be more fun.
>>
>> -- G
>
>Thing is......
>
>> If you get a vehicle stuck in the water and you need it to finish
>> the level, it could become like movable block until it sits on
>> dry land again. That way Lara could get off and drag it back
>> out of the water.
>
>What if the water is too deep and the jeep (or anything else) would sink to
>a level so that lara could not pull it, or even if she could somehow, so she
>could not get it out?
>
>I do agree that it is strange though and it would be better if something
>other than an explosion happened.
>
>Kieran

I'd like to have seen a very rapid case of rust! (It's salting the
roads for snow that does it.) or perhaps two tyres burst - completely
immobilised that way, too.

Or perhaps a giant octopus comes and drags it down to the hidden
depths?
-
-
Some days, it just isn't worth chewing through the straps.
-
-

"Miowarra Tomokatu" <not@thistime.net> wrote in message
snip

> I'd like to have seen a very rapid case of rust! (It's salting the
> roads for snow that does it.) or perhaps two tyres burst - completely
> immobilised that way, too.
>
> Or perhaps a giant octopus comes and drags it down to the hidden
> depths?
> -
> -
> Some days, it just isn't worth chewing through the straps.
> -
> -

Hiya old timer, whats up? :)
McG.

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, McGrandpa mentioned

>"Miowarra Tomokatu" <not@thistime.net> wrote in message
>snip
>>>
>> I'd like to have seen a very rapid case of rust! (It's salting the
>> roads for snow that does it.) or perhaps two tyres burst - completely
>> immobilised that way, too.
>>
>> Or perhaps a giant octopus comes and drags it down to the hidden
>> depths?
>> -
>> -
>> Some days, it just isn't worth chewing through the straps.
>> -
>> -
>
>Hiya old timer, whats up? :)
>McG.

Just trying to insert myself into the community of the ng. I'm a
"natural born smartarse"(TM) so most of what I can contribute is just
conversation with the occasional bon mot.

Hope that the group is more accepting than the Sims groups I entered a
couple of years ago. (Only time I've ever been caled a wise and beautiful woman, online --
and it hasn't happened all that often in real life, either.!!)
-
-

> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
> world domination, McGrandpa mentioned
>
>> "Miowarra Tomokatu" <not@thistime.net> wrote in message
>> snip
>>>>
>>> I'd like to have seen a very rapid case of rust! (It's salting the
>>> roads for snow that does it.) or perhaps two tyres burst -
>>> completely immobilised that way, too.
>>>
>>> Or perhaps a giant octopus comes and drags it down to the hidden
>>> depths?
>>> -
>>> -
>>> Some days, it just isn't worth chewing through the straps.
>>> -
>>> -
>>
>> Hiya old timer, whats up? :)
>> McG.
>>
> Just trying to insert myself into the community of the ng. I'm a
> "natural born smartarse"(TM) so most of what I can contribute is just
> conversation with the occasional bon mot.
>
> Hope that the group is more accepting than the Sims groups I entered a
> couple of years ago. (Only time I've ever been caled a wise and beautiful woman, online --
> and it hasn't happened all that often in real life, either.!!)
> -
> -
> Some days, it just isn't worth chewing through the straps.
> -
> -

Yep, the folks here are very accepting of *ALL* Tombraiders :) It's a
public Usenet 'D' group, so no moderators and no binary attachments.
Just pull up a comfy, have a cuppa, and regale us with your favorite
pets n peeves of any of the TR games :) Most folks around here tend to
leave the cussing out, as alt.games.tombraider is considered a family
thing generally.

Me now, I'm a real slackard. I have yet to completely finish TR4, just
last year got The Lost Artifact (still playing), and hadn't finished
Chronicles yet...and now it won't run. BUT, these are things I am
slowly remedying! OH, haven't completed AoD yet either. I am playing
it through, and doing another slow run through of TR1, 2 and 3 and some
user levels (TR4 engine). There are a few other games I really enjoy
playing and they also take a little time :)
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Do you want to
> > get an idea how heavy a block of stone would be? Go pick up a rock
> > the size of you head sometime, see how heavy that is! Too bad the
> > Egyptians didn't have a few Laras to help them build the pyramids. ;)
> >

> Well, all THEY had to do was strap some copper wire to the stones and
> then sing to the blocks...they floated into place :)*
>
> * per the builder of Coral Rock castle, in Florida.
> McG.

Never heard of it.

-- G

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>> Do you want to
>>> get an idea how heavy a block of stone would be? Go pick up a rock
>>> the size of you head sometime, see how heavy that is! Too bad the
>>> Egyptians didn't have a few Laras to help them build the pyramids.
>>> ;)
>>>

>> Well, all THEY had to do was strap some copper wire to the stones and
>> then sing to the blocks...they floated into place :)*
>>
>> * per the builder of Coral Rock castle, in Florida.
>> McG.
>
> Never heard of it.
>
> -- G

Well, HMPFH! So google it and see! :)
McG.

A few good links:
http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa071999.htm
http://www.coralcastle.com/home.asp
http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/publish/article_771.shtml

some of the explanations are a little ... out there ;) The
'pyramidiots' loved it :)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:07:11 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> McGrandpa wrote:

>>> Well, all THEY had to do was strap some copper wire to the stones and
>>> then sing to the blocks...they floated into place :)*
>>>
>>> * per the builder of Coral Rock castle, in Florida.
>>> McG.
>>
>> Never heard of it.
>>
>> -- G
>
>Well, HMPFH! So google it and see! :)
>McG.
>
>A few good links:
>http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa071999.htm
>http://www.coralcastle.com/home.asp
>http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/publish/article_771.shtml

So that's where one of the naughty brothers from Myst escaped to; the
Coral Age!

Which reminds me; it's about time I got back to Myst IV: Revelations.

Jerry Brown
--
A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

<http://www.jwbrown.co.uk>

"Jerry Brown" <jerry@jwbrown.co.uk.RemoveThisBitToReply> wrote in
message news:6vf641pcpg6662859ekl7lmrut36f3uq6b@4ax.com
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:07:11 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Never heard of it.
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> Well, HMPFH! So google it and see! :)
>> McG.
>>
>> A few good links:
>> http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa071999.htm
>> http://www.coralcastle.com/home.asp
>> http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/publish/article_771.shtml
>
> So that's where one of the naughty brothers from Myst escaped to; the
> Coral Age!
>
> Which reminds me; it's about time I got back to Myst IV: Revelations.
>

> Jerry Brown

Sounds good! Hey Jerry, nice sig ya got there ;)
McG.