Is partitioned data safe from formatting?

keplerhtc

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
I've decided its about time to format. My question is would I be able to keep my media from getting wiped if I partition and then format? I don't have a external hdd so that's my reason for asking. Please help.

Solution

That is an effective routine.

Partitioning itself is a process that moves data in a way that, if an error occurs, corrupts the data. That 'one time' there was a power brown-out (you know - lights dim fractionally then back to full brightness) during the partition process. On that occasion I had borrowed a friend's hard drive and used the spare space on it to save my data then removed it from my machine...

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

In theory if you partition a drive then you can format the individual partitions. I have done this successfully more times than I remember. However, there was this one time......(when it didn't work that way). Get yourself a backup external or burn some backup opticals first.

Unless you are flush with money, lost data are LOST.

Just in case you missed it - make a backup

Q

PS backups are your friends.

keplerhtc

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

So you're saying it is possible? I lack the bucks for a backup hdd, and time is also an issue. What would you recommend I not do, regarding that one time where you did it wrong? This is the model I have in my headex. Partition A = OS ; Partition B = unallocated ; Partition C = media *new partition* A + B = wiped ; C = not wiped

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I have thrown away (destroyed) so many backup DVDs over the years and CDs before them when these backups were superceeded by later backups. Except for this one time......(when I was so glad I had a backup)

If your data are too valuable to risk then don't risk it. Make a backup.

keplerhtc

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

I would definitely do the way you recommend, it's just I don't have the resources atm, and time is a factor. As far as valuable data it would hurt, but not much.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

That is an effective routine.

Partitioning itself is a process that moves data in a way that, if an error occurs, corrupts the data. That 'one time' there was a power brown-out (you know - lights dim fractionally then back to full brightness) during the partition process. On that occasion I had borrowed a friend's hard drive and used the spare space on it to save my data then removed it from my machine before doing the partition. There was no physical or electrical damage but the drive had to have a complete format to be usable. Then I put the data back from my 'backup'

I have seen too many grown men cry due to lost pictures of their kids that were never printed and now the drive and data are gone. Don't be another one. Make the backup however you can.

Q

Solution

TRENDING THREADS