Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
hello
i have some concerns about my graphics card. My system is below

corsair 750 TX
intel core i7 920
saphire HD 4890
corsair ram DDR 3 1066 6 gb

both the processor and graphics card has no been overclocked. so they are at stock speeds.

monitor resolution is only 1280 by 960

I installed crysis and patched it till 1.2.1

os is win 7 64 bit

the problem is that my graphics card idles at abt 61 C. is this normal. by idling i mean the only thing open is the desktop. no apps are running. While doing the benchmark routine it hits abt 82 C. Also while idling the speed is being throttled to 250 mhz from 850. fan speed at 43 %. i got this value from ati overdrive reading. but the temp stays at 61 C.

The second concern is that at this resolution itself when i benchmark crysis it get only about 35 fps average. 18 min and abt 52 max. Shouldnt a 4890 give me better values at this resolution. AA does not seem to have an effect. vsync is disabled. all setting at very high.

I am posting a screenshot of HWmonitor the cpu also hit 60 C

83benchzj

Solution
First of all, your temperatures are normal, no need to worry about them.

The card goes to 250Mhz on purpose, when you are not running games to save energy, and create less heat.

35 fps average isn't bad for a single card in Crysis, espescially because you have not overclocked your CPU at all, which may help add some frames. You say AA has no effect, that is a sign of a CPU bottleneck so to speak. You could give it a slight overclock if you want, but I suggest benching other games first, you may find that both your video card and CPU at stock speeds can handle just about any game reasonably.

Also, make sure you have the latest ATI drivers installed, 10.4

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
First of all, your temperatures are normal, no need to worry about them.

The card goes to 250Mhz on purpose, when you are not running games to save energy, and create less heat.

35 fps average isn't bad for a single card in Crysis, espescially because you have not overclocked your CPU at all, which may help add some frames. You say AA has no effect, that is a sign of a CPU bottleneck so to speak. You could give it a slight overclock if you want, but I suggest benching other games first, you may find that both your video card and CPU at stock speeds can handle just about any game reasonably.

Also, make sure you have the latest ATI drivers installed, 10.4

Solution

TRENDING THREADS