Sign in with
Your question

External portable HDD = - file tranfer freezes half way through!!!

Last response: in Storage
August 6, 2012 8:28:30 AM

Hi everyone,

I purchased a 500Gb seagate portable HDD around 1 year ago.

Seagate P/N 9SG2A5-500

I am only recently having troubles with it. The other day, when i went to connect to the PC, it wouldnt show up for a while and then tell me that a reformat was required. I tried connecting it a few times again but still the same notification arrose. I had to reformat it, losing alot of my data - over 50gb to be exact - all my music, movies and files :( . By doing so, I thought that my HDD may be dead but I still reformated.

After the reformat, I tried again. It took a second to load. I tried to transfer a word document across - worked perfectly. I then again tried a 2GB file across and it froze half way through! I tried a 10GB file across and then failed again!

It seems that it wont take the larger files. I used the NTFS system at 4000kb. The 2GB file got to about 3/4 before freezing, the 4gb file got to little under half way and the 10gb file got under 1/4!!!!

This is a weird phenomeon. Ive tried everything i can think of. It was working perfectly before!

Is my HDD dead?

Thanks

Lyndon
August 6, 2012 11:23:19 AM

by what do you mean my 'drive is bad'?

i also forgot to note that i used a usb and tranferred the same 2gb file within 10 seconds on the same usb port.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 12, 2012 9:51:34 PM

When having issues with external drives try this:

When putting data onto the drive, enable write cacheing
and
When transferring data from the external drive, disable write caching.

If you still have issues try running chkdsk /r on the drive.

(to enable / disable write caching: right click on my computer, select manage, select device manager, select your external hard drive, right click on the drive and select properties, select the Policy tab,)

(To run a disk check w/ recovery: Start -> Run -> cmd -> type the drive letter and press enter (example E:) , type chkdsk /r and press enter .If it asks you anything press Y then enter.)
m
l
August 19, 2013 1:33:12 PM

Dr_JRE said:

and

(to enable / disable write caching: right click on my computer, select manage, select device manager, select your external hard drive, right click on the drive and select properties, select the Policy tab,)

(To run a disk check w/ recovery: Start -> Run -> cmd -> type the drive letter and press enter (example E:) , type chkdsk /r and press enter .If it asks you anything press Y then enter.)

This really helped me, in my personal case. Thank You so much.
m
l
May 20, 2014 10:30:46 AM

Dr_JRE said:

and

Thanks a lot for this tip! I was struggling to find a solution for random drive freezing and your suggestion to enable write caching solved my problem! :) 
m
l
July 9, 2014 10:19:28 AM

Dr_JRE said:

and

Can I keep it enabled even when copying from ext HDD into system? Because every time changing will be annoying for me or otherwise I'll forgot to change when I'm in a emergency situation ! Help please!
m
l
!