Sign in with
Your question

Hp pavilion running 100% all the time

Last response: in CPUs
August 14, 2010 12:45:26 AM

Hello,
I have a 5 year old HP Pavilion dv 5000 with a AMD Turion 64 and for some reason the "system-system" is running at 97=99% all the time,I check for viruses worms etc ....nothing.Took it to an engineer for testing anf he found nothing wrong.Formatted the 100Gb HD reinstalled XP ....nothing system is still running 100%. The problem started when I went away for a few days. When I got home I pluged it in and it would not boot. I played around with it and managed to boot it up. the battery showed that it was dead but I rarly use it on battery so I always run on mains. The only clue I have is the USB´s. As the laptop was starting I (stupidly pluged in my wifi dongle for my mouse but the USB stopped working.The laptop has 3 USBs. One on the right witch stopped working a few weeks before and two on the left side which have now stopped working.
soooow help.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 9:37:05 AM

I assume you don't mean "system idle process" is running at 99% do you?
m
l
August 14, 2010 10:26:57 AM

Quote:
^+1 LMAO, computer for dummies is recommended for you, bluiezz

Way to not be helpful.

Check under taskmanager under the processes tab. Click the CPU button between Username and memusage. It will sort out by % used. Find which process is dogging your system and let us know or google the Image name to see what it is. Proceed accordingly.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 2:08:47 PM

Chances are you have a single core cpu, you are running vista, am I right so far? If I am right, downgrade to xp, your computer is attempting to make up for limited ram so it is constantly using the cpu at full power...
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 5:52:54 PM

The OP actually put "Formatted the 100Gb HD reinstalled XP" so I don't think he's on vista. MORE INFORMATION NEEDED :D 
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 11:16:10 PM

Hi Guys, I have this problem on my HP Pavilion dv5 too. This only started recently and its becoming increasingly annoying.

Another weird thing that happened recently is that my battery died completely and wont hold charge (only a year old but God). I duly replaced it but my computer dies whilst on battery power with new battery 75% full.

could this be related somehow?

m
l
August 25, 2010 11:50:50 PM

acer0169 said:
I assume you don't mean "system idle process" is running at 99% do you?

That`s right I don`t the problem is SYSTEM -SYSTEM
m
l
August 25, 2010 11:53:18 PM

Quote:
^+1 LMAO, computer for dummies is recommended for you, bluiezz

are you serious......................
m
l
August 25, 2010 11:54:28 PM

Computerrock1 said:
Chances are you have a single core cpu, you are running vista, am I right so far? If I am right, downgrade to xp, your computer is attempting to make up for limited ram so it is constantly using the cpu at full power...

Oh did I not say................No I am running XP
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2010 8:12:42 AM

Maybe run system file checker?
Open the run dialog (windows key + r) and then type "sfc /scannow".

You'll need your XP disc in the drive for this.

It'll check your system files against those on the disc and will replace and corrupted files. This MIGHT help, but not really sure.

I know it doesn't help your problem, but maybe it is time to get a new computer after all. You could be faffing with this one for weeks and you could get a tidy little machine for £250 now a days.
m
l
September 1, 2010 5:33:25 PM

Thanks

I did buy a new laptop but I wanted to try to save the old one . I gave it to a PC engineer and he could not find anything wrong. Apart from SYSTEM running at 100% all the time and all USB ports not working. I gave it to a software guy and he said that he could not format the HD. No idea why...but the USB ports were the first to go ...then the other problems. So the OS ( xp) WAS JUST DELETED then windows xp reinstalled. I guess I will take it to HP when I have time to see if its worth saving....
m
l
!