Why would i want a NAS?

cobellig

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I just tested a readyNAS duo and in the past i have worked with servers so i am familiar with raid...i need now a FTP server and a central storage for all my files,and i am running a mirror of 2 Tera WD red drives,copy speed in the network is important but no server performance is really needed

What is the advantage of using a NAS instead a simple pc?
I mean,the performance of the NAS hardware are really nothing compare to the simplest pc,a sempron with 2gb of memory for instance is way more performat already...and PCI raid card with 2+ Sata port is widely available...

And lets say i went on ebay and bought me a 100W solar panel so the electricity is free for it...

Please,convince me why i would get a NAS :wahoo: because i can't justify performance nor price.

:hello:

cl-scott

Honorable
The benefits to NAS would be size and flexibility. It's a lot smaller a physical footprint to a PC, and in a lot of cases you can far more readily add additional capacity to a NAS. You might have a NAS device capable of holding 10+ drives, compared to a PC which might be able to hold 2-4.

So if you aren't pressed for space, and don't need more than 1-2 drives, then NAS probably isn't for you. It's all about finding the right tool for the job, and it kind of sounds like NAS isn't the tool for your job.

cobellig

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Yeh you are right,a small nice its really taking minimum space,instead a small pc is still quiet a size...indeed not a space problem so,one thumb up for PC instead NAS :)

NAS are nice for someone who doesn't have an old PC around, doesn't know about setting file sharing, permissions, remote logins, etc. It's plugin, open a web browser and go. An old PC works fine and that's all I ever use.

phthano

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Something to consider that I did not until I set up a NAS was that in the event your actual computer gets nuked, or the mainboard fries, you are pretty much completely unaffected. You can do your work or play without having to worry that your data will get erased or corrupted.