Sign in with
Your question

Recommend me a wireless router and NIC for gaming

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 31, 2010 6:55:55 AM

Hey guys the title says it all. Here at my house, I am running on an older Linksys router, and I have this huge ethernet cable that runs through my house to connect my desktop to it. I used to use wireless cards, but They die or the drivers cause some error within 8 months. That being said, my father wants the chord to stop obstructing his living room (it goes right thru the middle), and I am a huge gamer, so I need great connection speeds.

What's my cheapest option for a great connection wirelessly? I'd like to spend under 100 bucks if possible for a wireless router and wireless NIC. Please recommend me some that won't give me any trouble with finding servers for games, security, overly protective firewall, or connection issues. The router we have now, goes out at least 4 to 5 times a day which requires me to restart it, and a lot of the time, it's RIGHT in the middle of the game I'm playing. But like I said, this router is easily 3 to 4 years old.

Any insight would be really appreciative, thank you.
Anonymous
May 31, 2010 6:07:54 PM

I think most people would not recommend wireless for gaming.
m
l
May 31, 2010 6:18:28 PM

I know they don't, as a matter of fact I don't want to. But I kind of have to, so what are my options for reliable connection
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
May 31, 2010 7:08:54 PM

Have you considered a Homeplug type solution -- uses the mains wiring as a network.

When it works it's pretty good, but success depends on your house wiring being laid out the right way -- so agree with retailer on refund if your home isn't.
m
l
May 31, 2010 7:54:43 PM

I'm trying to figure out a soluation so I get the connection reliance of a wire, without one. I'd love to continue using an ethernet cable, but it runs through the middle of the house.

My router is a piece of ***, as well, though. It causes disconnects randomly when there shouldn't be one. I need to upgrade. So either way, I don't know which one to buy at this point. This buffalo one on newegg got good reviews, but I had never heard of that company before
m
l
May 31, 2010 11:01:58 PM

I have a dlink dir825 dual band n router on my main desktop and dlink dwa 160 n dual band usb connections on my other 2 pcs and i online game wirelessly on the 2 wireless connections with no issues.
m
l
!