Last response: in CPUs
August 14, 2010 9:07:43 AM

Hi and thanks for your help in advance,

A few days ago I got an ASUS G73J

Specs: Intel Core i7 720M
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bit Genuine
8GB DDR3 RAM
ATI HD 6870 Graphics

It doesn't matter what plan I run my computer on, my computer (sometimes) can be extremely slow. Whether I have only Firefox open or I'm playing a lightweight game on Low graphx, it doesn't matter. I have 0 viruses (I have Norton and I did a full scan 5 minutes ago). My HDD is fine only around 100GB used (1tb memory). Please let me know.

PS its not overheating. I have a cooling pad on when I use it and I installed diamond cooling.

More about : computer running slow

a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 9:30:30 AM

Tempted just to say that Norton is killing your machine. I once installed it on an overclocked dual core machine, 4GB ram and SLI (old rig now) and it brought it to it's knees every few hours. I ended up getting rid of Norton (for good) and using AVG - no more issues.

Make sure Norton doesn't have any type of auto-scan or auto-update settings active as I know it LOVES to update itself randomly which it somehow makes one of the most CPU-hungry operations.

You might also want to disable any automatic "under-clocking" settings in your BIOS so your CPU doesn't randomly drop.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 12:18:18 PM

Yes probably Norton is killing the PC. Uninstall it, then download a free AV program (i recommend Avira Free) and see if it'll "fix" the problem.
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
August 14, 2010 12:29:49 PM

grahamas said:
I installed diamond cooling.
Can you explain what this is and how you did it?

Had you run the laptop and done any testing before installing 'diamond cooling'?
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 12:32:22 PM

WR2 said:
Can you explain what this is and how you did it?

Had you run the laptop and done any testing before installing 'diamond cooling'?

http://www.innovationcooling.com/

Thermal paste?:) 
a c 203 à CPUs
August 14, 2010 12:38:43 PM

I would have expected him to say IC Diamond if it were thermal paste. And you don't normally disassemble a laptop to add thermal compound.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 12:39:43 PM

WR2 said:
I would have expected him to say IC Diamond if it were thermal paste. And you don't normally disassemble a laptop to add thermal compound.

Yeah, strange :??:  ........
August 15, 2010 2:08:38 AM

I ordered it from xoticpc.com and upgraded it there. And okay, thanks, I bought Norton 3 days ago for 70 dollar 2 year plan and awesommmeeee
August 15, 2010 3:49:44 AM

Did the problem start after your installed Norton or before?
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 9:08:56 AM

grahamas said:
I bought Norton 3 days ago for 70 dollar 2 year plan and awesommmeeee

The idea of being stuck with Norton for 2 years would not make me excited ;) 
August 15, 2010 9:19:42 AM

"ATI HD 6870 Graphics " :D 
sorry for that.

if it is a laptop, did you do a clean install or do you still have bloatware. plus like everone says norton is bad
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 10:04:20 AM

grahamas said:
I ordered it from xoticpc.com and upgraded it there. And okay, thanks, I bought Norton 3 days ago for 70 dollar 2 year plan and awesommmeeee

Dude why did you waste money when you could download a good one for free?:D 
!