Solved

Can it be built for less?

Tags:
  • Cyberpower
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 14, 2010 5:59:23 PM

Ok I have a computer setup on CyberPower for 1464 without Monitors or Graphic card. 1. Because I need a specific card to do video editing with Avid Media Composer which will be the Nvidia Quadro FX 580, and 2. I can find a monitor cheaper elsewhere. Everything else is pretty much the minimum of what I want except for the splurging I did for the i7 975k. They have 3 yr. warranty included in the price but this isn't including the $16 shipping that will be added. Below are the specs for the new build and I want to know if it is possible to build on my own for less. From what I can tell it's not but maybe I don't know the best places to look if there is a place better than newegg. If anyone thinks it can be done cheaper and still be reliable please let me know my Budget is $2500 but I still need to get Media Composer (269 Student Edt) and Adobe Web Design Premium($449 Student Edt). Ok Enough Rambling here are the specs. Thanks for the help?

Quote:
Case: Coolermaster HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case w/ 1x230mm Red LED Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port [+109]
Noise Reduction Technology: Power Supply Gasket [+5]
Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366 [+300]
Cooling Fan: Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
Motherboard: * Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio
Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (A-Data Gaming Series with Heat Spreader)
Power Supply Upgrade: 700 Watts Power Supplies (XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply)
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
Optical Drive: LG 22X DVD±/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
Power Protection: OPTI-UPS VS575C 575VA/345W Uninterrupt Power Supply [+46]
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)

More about : built

June 14, 2010 6:18:38 PM

There is no point to buy a i7 975 when the i7 980x is out.

I guess it's a good deal if you don't plan on overclocking, but the i7 930 will overclock easily past 4ghz which makes getting the i7 975 useless.
m
l
June 14, 2010 6:37:00 PM

I've never overclocked before and wasn't sure how stable overclocking is when doing graphics intensive work. Do you think it is easy enough for someone new to overclocking to do? I know my way around on a computer alright but I want to be very careful since this is a large investment for me to make.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2010 6:45:22 PM

crum said:
I've never overclocked before and wasn't sure how stable overclocking is when doing graphics intensive work. Do you think it is easy enough for someone new to overclocking to do? I know my way around on a computer alright but I want to be very careful since this is a large investment for me to make.

It's fairly easy, there are a bunch of guides on overclocking the i7's. It's stable if you do the proper stress testing. My oc is stable with over 10+ hours of 100% load on all cores.

If you don't want to take the time to build yourself cyberpower is relatively fair in it's pricing.
m
l
June 14, 2010 7:12:59 PM

if this is going to be a rig that is used to pay the bills (ie. A work computer) I highly recommend that you overclock with EXTREME caution...

For most gamers, overclocking is not a big deal because you're not going to be doing something on the computer so important that if it crashes, you are now DAYS behind schedule...

my rule of thumb...if a computer is used in a productivity environment (Work) I'm not going to overclock it.
m
l
June 14, 2010 8:17:43 PM

You should only use an overclock for everday use after extensive stress testing, 10hours+
If it is still running after that, then 99% of the time, there will be no problems. If it does crash, all that is required is a simple bios reset.

I would definitely recommend getting a 930 if you arent going to get the 980x, it will OC up to anything else

Swap out the mobo for a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R - $209.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Its the same price, newer, OCs better, and comes with the latest interfaces (usb3 and sata 6gbps)
m
l
June 16, 2010 3:34:38 PM

I'm looking at a similar setup from cyberpower, but I don't understand the difference between a workstation vid card and just a normal card.
m
l
June 16, 2010 6:25:57 PM

Workstation graphics cards use special drivers to be more accurate. Normal cards are more for overclocking and being used in games.
m
l

Best solution

June 17, 2010 11:22:00 PM

cory1234 said:
There is no point to buy a i7 975 when the i7 980x is out.

CyberPower PC's pricing for the 975 Extreme is very good @ ~$500 less than the 980 Extreme; therefore, I strongly disagree.

Further, if you decide to Overclock, all of the Extreme Editions are DIRT SIMPLE to OC, you simply turn-up only the CPU multiplier instead of juggling with all of the multipliers. { Unless you decide to change your HT OC which is unnecessary for most }

Changes:

1. [Note] Your UPS is borderline to sustain your system for very long if at all adding monitor(s) and peripherals.

2. [+54] I advise changing your MOBO to the GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R.

3. [+20] the Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System is WORTH the $20 over the stock fan; essentially it is an OEM of the Corsair H50 (~$90).

Good Luck - CyberPower is good, they built all of my new office desktop computers; to date 0 problems / 15 units. If you click on my [more information/configuration] less the CF the unit was ~$1,600 after rebates.
June 28, 2010 3:28:28 AM

Best answer selected by Crum.
m
l
!