Which memory timings are correct???/

ibefob1

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Ok so I am looking to buy new memory for my X58 motherboard. I ran CPUz and the timing shows 7-7-7-18 on the memory tab. When I enter my bios and look at the memory timing it shows 9-9-9-24. Which one is correct????

You don't even know what you bought?

Who's talking about the new memory? I'm talking about the old memory. You don't even know what you bought??

It's as easy as opening the computer and looking at the sticker on the ram. It's not rocket science.

ibefob1

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
And btw it's the memory that came with the system when I bought it...so no I don't know the memory timings.....so that's why I'm asking for help not and not condescending answers.

Oh well were not mindreaders so It sure would help to include this information in your original post. Any ram I have ever used has a sticker on the side that shows the brands, speed, voltage and timings and chip size. You don't need to take the heatsinks off.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Do you know how to open your computer case? Turn off the computer, and remove one of the side panels off and remove one of the RAM sticks. There should be little white clips on the ends of the RAM. There are 2 different kinds of white clips or fittings now. On some, one end is fixed and the other end can be opened by pressing down on it.

Remove one stick of RAM and on one side or the other there should be a little white paper stick on label with the info on it. Do not remove the sticker, that will invalidate your warranty on the stick. Do not remove the heat sinks, there is no need to do that.

To re insert the ram stick, insert it in the same direction as the other sticks (it has an asymetrical notch and will only go in one direction). If one end is fixed, insert the stick under that holder first and gently, yet firmly press the stick in until the open clip snaps into place.

Always ground yourself first before handling ram. Touch some metal part of the case first.

Good luck.