Why does my computer not POST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carfreak3504

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Yesterday I was working on overclocking my CPU/Graphics. i was succesful at first, but then as I turned settings up, the settings didn't apply. So I tried resetting my bios by taking out the CMOS Battery. After that the settings still didn't apply, but I don't care about that anymore. So I set all the settings back to default, but when I tried to boot, the windows 7 screen started to come up, but "froze" when it shows the logo, but it looked to me like the logo was still pulsing.

So I tried safe mode, that show'd me that the last thing on the screen to load was Disk.sys. Then I reset the CMOS again and still no luck. I tried taking out sticks of RAM, but the computer isn't even posting now. All the fans rev up, and lights come on, but NOTHING shows up on the screen. I tried taking out the card and re-installing it, that didn't work.

So now I have no screnn (post, or boot) So first, how do I get the screen to show? Second, how do I get windows to boot, thanks. One idea, maybe its the CMOS Battery is running out? The computer is a hand-me-down, so I would guess its a several years old.

Last night I reset the BIOS overnight while having all the RAM, Graphics, and Drives unplugged, that didn't work.

Specs:
ASUS P5n-E SLI Motherboard
Core2 Quad Q6700
4GB DDR2 800 RAM
XFX 8800 GTS
Corsair 525W PSU
Antec 900 Case
DVD Drive
Several Hard Drives

Solution
There's a link to a troubleshooting checklist in my signature. It was created to troubleshoot this type of problem. Let us know how it goes after you've performed EVERY step in the checklist.

carfreak3504

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

I tried those things, all exept taking the whole thing apart. I'll do that now...

carfreak3504

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I took the whole thing apart, Unpluged everything except power, graphics, motherboard, and CPU Fan. Laid it on an anti-static bag...Nothing. Still no beep codes or anything on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS