No internet after installing XFX 5770?

In unit management (if that's the term for it) in Vista it says that nForce Network Controller and nForce System Management Controller are not working as they should.
nForce Network Controller error message: Could not initiate this unit because the configuration information (in the register) is corrupted or damaged.
The same message with System management controller.
So, I can't access the internet, it takes around 10-15 minutes to boot and Windows explorer crashes if I open my Computer 3/5 times. I downloaded the modem driver from Acer's support site for my model, but there is a AMD64 and x86 folder, an ini file and two .cat files, how do I install the driver?

I'm posting this here because someone from the Steam forums told me there where several people that reported their internet didn't work after installing a 5770, but I didn't fin anything on the net. I'm using a 9600GT now.
Can you help me?
Steam thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255869
16 answers Last reply
More about internet installing 5770
  1. Try booting into Safe Mode. Keep pressing the F8 key as you power on.
    Run Drive Sweeper to remove any traces of the Nvidia drivers.
    Reinstall the 5770 drivers and try a normal boot.
    If that fails try a System Restore after booting up again in Safe Mode.
  2. WR2 said:
    Try booting into Safe Mode. Keep pressing the F8 key as you power on.
    Run Drive Sweeper to remove any traces of the Nvidia drivers.
    Reinstall the 5770 drivers and try a normal boot.
    If that fails try a System Restore after booting up again in Safe Mode.


    Well, the screen got dark and displayed the wrong colors when I inserted the 5770, so I'll stick with the 9600GT until I get a new PSU.
    BUT: I didn't create a restore point, will all be fixed if I just format my system and install Vista and the drivers again? I'm just sick of this problem and I'm fine if I have to install all of my programs again.
  3. Also, I already did what you said about deleting all drivers with Guru3d's cleaner.
  4. Ouch! No restore point. And you probably don't have a Rescue CD either.
    I saw your other post saying Safe Mode is messed up too.

    I'd try running Vista System File Checker from Safe Mode first. Use the RUN comand: sfc /scannow
    If you have Vista SP1 or earlier disk and there are bad/broken SP2 version files it might not work for you.

    You might be able to try a Repair Install of Vista. It's an option as you go to install Vista.

    After that I'd run out of ideas except that clean install.
  5. DrFaceless said:
    Also, I already did what you said about deleting all drivers with Guru3d's cleaner.


    When you deleted all Nvidia drivers --- did you delete just the VIDEO drivers or ALL Nvidia drivers ?? -- your MOBO has an Nvidia network chip that needs its drivers -- uninstall just the Video chipset drivers not all of the nvidia drivers !!

    If you deleted all drivers then you need to go back and reinstall the Nvidia chipset drivers for the MOBO (not the video drivers but the MOBO chipset drivers) in order to get the network chip working again (either from the CD that came with the MOBO or download from your MOBO makers website !)
  6. JDFan said:
    When you deleted all Nvidia drivers --- did you delete just the VIDEO drivers or ALL Nvidia drivers ?? -- your MOBO has an Nvidia network chip that needs its drivers -- uninstall just the Video chipset drivers not all of the nvidia drivers !!

    If you deleted all drivers then you need to go back and reinstall the Nvidia chipset drivers for the MOBO (not the video drivers but the MOBO chipset drivers) in order to get the network chip working again (either from the CD that came with the MOBO or download from your MOBO makers website !)


    I think you're onto something there. I deleted all the Nvidia drivers, not just the video drivers since I checked all the Nvidia drivers. I could still be on the net before I deleted the drivers, but then my monitor was showing wrong colors etc. But I can't download any MOBO info sofware, how do I find out what MOBO I have? Also, I'm still trying to get the USB to work because since I deleted my Nvidia drivers Windows Explorer has decided to be annoying and not work. So I can't download drivers to an USB storage unit and send them to said computer. Even if I could, I don't have a clue which drivers to download.
  7. Yap, you where right: I deleted my chipset drivers. Is there any way I can find out what chipset I have from the control panel? I'm desperate, thanks for helping me guys.
  8. But: Why aren't the CDs getting read now as a driver is missing, but you can install drivers from a clean Windows? Does that mean that a driver that's corrupt is messing up my CD rom?
  9. If you go into Device manager does it list the devices there ?? - If so try right clicking on them and scan the system for hardware changes (IIRC windows includes some drivers that should work if you do not still have a copy of the Nvidia drivers on your system that should at least get things working again so that you can then download and install the specific drivers for your mobo -- (Also it is not the modem driver you want to download but the LAN driver ! - the modem is for an old dial up modem card not the network LAN port.
  10. JDFan said:
    If you go into Device manager does it list the devices there ?? - If so try right clicking on them and scan the system for hardware changes (IIRC windows includes some drivers that should work if you do not still have a copy of the Nvidia drivers on your system that should at least get things working again so that you can then download and install the specific drivers for your mobo -- (Also it is not the modem driver you want to download but the LAN driver ! - the modem is for an old dial up modem card not the network LAN port.


    You're a lifesaver! Now my CD rom works, I can use my USB storage units again, but the internet does still not work, but I can always update the LAN driver through Acers support site. I'll just restart it and download the driver for my model and install, I'll give you an update in 20 minutes.
  11. Hm, I downloaded the driver for Vista SP1 since SP2 wasn't there I thought it was the same. But it wouldn't install, it just said: Uninstall NVIDIA driver *something* and there seemed to be many commands in that window, I pressed yes, it exited and a window opened saying: This program didn't seem to be installed correctly would you install it again? I pressed yes, but nothing happened. I couldn't drag the files from my USB stick to the desktop nor could I copy and paste them, I had to send them to my documents in order to get them on my comp, nothing changed in the installing process when I installed them from there. It's obvious I should install the drivers for SP2, but again, I thought they where the same since no drivers for SP2. Thanks for still hanging in there.
  12. The only thing is that it doesn't specify what OS I need to have, look: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/aspire_m5640.html#driver
    Thanks though.
  13. Quote:
    Try this one, its the official Nvidia drivers..
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista_win7_32bit_15.49.html


    Thanks, I'm downloading it now, but where do I see what series I have? I've been using computers for 10 years now, but there's still something to learn.
  14. Quote:
    The best way is to download CPU-Z and it pretty much tells you everything you need to know. But digging inside the device manager should give you the models too.


    Thanks, my motherboard was fine with it. It did start, but the progress didn't show up and later the computer crashed, but now I'm too tired to do it again, I'll give more info tomorrow. Thanks for fixing half the problem though!
  15. Thanks Timop! My computer works as it did before the problems, is there any way I can rep you?
  16. +1 to Best Answer
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Management Network Controller Internet Graphics