Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone NOT have BSOD/GSOD with 57xx and 58xx?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2010 2:32:27 PM

Hi everyone,
I've had 2 5770s in Crossfire (and individually) for a few months and it has been hell. The only drivers that don't crash 10 times a day are the 9.12 ones. Since the latest drivers have improved the fps a lot in games, I feel like I'm missing out. At this point I've pretty much given up on those cards due to the constant blue screens (latest drivers but not 9.12) and grey screens.

Problem is.. what do I do now? It seems like people are complaining about ALL the Ati 57xx and 58xx cards.. I was thinking about getting a 5850 but people complain about the same problems I've had.. should I switch to Nvidia and if so, which card for max ~350$?

Thanks for any input.

More about : bsod gsod 57xx 58xx

May 8, 2010 2:40:21 PM

Just to mention, I've has so many crashes playing Bad Company 2 that I've given up on the game.. no matter what the drivers were, playing has been a pain in the butt and not fun.
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 2:43:50 PM

have you tryed the 10.4 Drivers?

Havent had a single problem with any of the drivers, mind you im only using a single 5850.
m
l
Related resources
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 8, 2010 2:45:01 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
I have a HD 5970 and before Catalyst 10.4 driver i had many 2D problems for example when i turned on my PC,sometimes screen went Grey and it restarted,also even in windows,i experienced problems,for example i had some glitches watching movies,therefor i had to raise my 2D clocks in order to solve it.
But when i installed Catalyst 10.4,i no longer have any 2D problems in windows(like watching movies),but in startups i still have some 2D problems but after waiting for some seconds everything works fine
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:51:02 PM

With the 10.4 drivers I get the memory dump blue screen multiple times a day. Hopefully it doesn't do it for 5850 since I was thinking about getting one to replace the 5770s.

Anyone else not having problems with 57xx or 58xx?
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:53:09 PM

Which brand of the 5850 do you have omgitzfatal? If you don't mind me asking. My 5770s were from PowerColor, which came with the system I got.. not sure if different brands cause different problems or if all the 5770s are the same.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 8, 2010 2:59:15 PM

Try using the cards in single mode and check if each card performs well in single mode.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 8, 2010 3:03:28 PM

I've only gotten a GSOD once, and that was when the Crysis glitch Carrier was locking up/crashing every few minutes anyway (so it was not the driver or card's fault).

Other than some 2-D video corruption at default clocks (157/300, goes away if higher) the card has worked near flawlessly. Mine is a Sapphire, though I doubt that makes much difference as it is a reference card.
m
l
May 8, 2010 3:11:01 PM

BSODs make it sound like there's a lot more than just a driver issue going on. Check your memory, check both cards on their own, and check any overclocks for stability. Chances are, there's a bad piece of hardware in your system.
m
l
May 8, 2010 3:12:31 PM

With the 9.12 drivers, I don't get the blue screens though. But yeah, I've tried both of them individually and in different motherboard slots.

The most annoying thing is that everyone that has the kind of problems I've been having has no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. Example from this forum: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286564-33-5770-bsod

Noone knows for sure if the problem is the drivers, memory or whatever.. I'm hoping to get rid of the problem entirely with a different card but if it doesn't I'll be royally frustrated.
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 3:48:52 PM

bobdomino said:
Which brand of the 5850 do you have omgitzfatal? If you don't mind me asking. My 5770s were from PowerColor, which came with the system I got.. not sure if different brands cause different problems or if all the 5770s are the same.

I have a Gigabyte HD5850, but I've also had a Powercolor HD5850 before now ( I broke it :lol:  ) Neither of them have ever given me any problems.
m
l
!