Choosing a Motherboard and a CPU

Madeline MCormick

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Could you kindly review the MOBOs and Correponding CPUs as listed below and provide your feedback as to which one of these would be the best option.
So this request is not for price comparison or for budget constraints but for reliability, durability, and longevity. Below is a brief summary of my total utilities to be derived from the system followed by the options of MOBOs and CPUs that I am considering.
Your advise in this matter will be greatly appreciated,

Intel:
Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 X58 ATX Motherboard

Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

(Both the Above with: Core i7-950 3.06GHz Boxed Processor; RAM: XMS3 Series 12GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) CL9 Triple Channel Desktop Memory Kit)

AMD:
MOBO:
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Gigabyte GA-890-FXA- UD-5

(Both the above with: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20; RAM: XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual channel Desktop memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

Financial & Business Analysis/Spreadsheet Analysis:
Software:
Financial: Calyx; Business Planning: PlanPro; Project Managment: MSProject, VISIO

Communication:
Outlook Client: POP3 Email synched with the Financial Software
Documenation Scanning and Editing:
Software: Adobe PhotoShop; Paperport ETC.
Communication Software: VoIP (e.g. Skype, integrated with outlook contacts)

Secondary Function(s)
Entertainment: Watching Movies: Netflix;
Running VMWare
DVD&CD Burning:

Future Wish List of Projects to be considered:
Video/Movie Editing
Multi-Media Graphic design for website development
software: Corel or AutoDesk, etc
Gaming Software like Civilization and the like

Madeline MCormick

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Thank you for your reply. Yes I do have a ASUS EAH5450 Video Card with on board Video RAM 1GB DDR2; so i guess given my utilities as listed getting a; Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 X58 ATX Motherboard Or Asus Crosshair IV Formula would be an over kill?

jb6684

Distinguished
If your not heavily into gaming Or overclocking your CPU you don't need any of the fancy high end Rampage or Crosshair boards.

The Intel i7-900 series WAS the top power user system to have (If your heavily into scientific work and can afford the $1000 6 core i7-990X its still the fastest) But, the new Sandy Bridge chips "mosox" recommends are now about the same speed and a little bit cheaper to build a four (4) core system with.

He also didn't recommend the "K" series of Sandy Bridge chips which you will not need, unless you plan to overclock your CPU.

Yep, those are mobos with lots of PCI Express slots for multiple video cards setups.

These mobos still have plenty of [CIEX16 slpts and are cheaper
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423
ASUS P6X58D-E
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641

The new CPUs are better though
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/100?vs=288

And since you have a video card you can also get a 1155 P55/P67 motherboard like the GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3, ASUS P8P67 EVO (REV 3.0) ASUS P8P67 DELUXE etc.