Sign in with
Your question

Weird Power-off issue

Last response: in Systems
June 14, 2010 8:38:31 PM

When I say worked fine, I mean it worked fine with all of the other components in the older system

New System:

Case: COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full

Video Card: Nvidia 9600 GT OC (Had in family members computer, worked fine)
CPU: Intel Quadcore Q9400 (3-4 months old, worked fine)
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaw 2X2 Gb (4-5 months old, worked fine)
Hard drive: Sea Gate 7200 RPM 250 GB (2 years old, worked fine)
5.25 Drives: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM (4 month old, fin.)
LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Disc Reader SATA Model iHOS104-08 (5 month old, fine)
PSU: ZALMAN ZM750-HP 750W Continuous @ 45°C (Nearly 2 years old, worked fine)

Old system build:
Case: Gigabyte Triton
Video Card: HIS 5850
CPU: Q9400, same
RAM: 2 X 2 gb Ripjaw Same
Hard drive: Same
5.25 Drives: Same
PSU: same

Ok, so, I just put together the above system, the only changes being the new case and the different video card. My system will sometimes power on for about a minute and then turn off. Do any of you think it could be the larger amount of case fans that is putting too many power requirements on my PSU? Alternatively, do you think it could be that my PSU is failing? I've checked all connectors to the mobo; all are plugged in fine. All of the power sw and power reset cords are plugged in properly too. What could possibly be going wrong? It will turn off after about a minute, and the voltage light on top of my case (lightning, symbol) just flashes intermittently. My motherboard is reading back all three blue lights positively which means it does detect all components fine and power is plugged in. WTF?

I do have a spare 650W antec I could use to test and see if my zalman burned out.

More about : weird power issue

a b B Homebuilt system
June 15, 2010 7:40:07 PM

1. Are you posting or not?
2. Check everything in the No Post sticky thread.
3. Swap out the PSU like you guessed.
4. Memtest the RAM. 8 passes min.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
June 15, 2010 8:12:27 PM

Case fans pull almost no power. Three or four fans will pull about an amp at 12 volts. You'd need 10 or 12 to pull a significant amount of power.

Suggestions:

One way to check - unplug most of them.

Try the original video card.

Strip the system down and breadboard it (built it outside the case) to eliminate any problems caused by the case.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 16, 2010 4:13:14 AM

Have you checked the CPU temperatures during the brief periods of operation? Shutting down after about 1 minute sounds like an overheating CPU, causing the mobo to shut it down to prevent burnout. MAYBE the heatsink on the CPU was disturbed in the rebuild. See if it appears slightly loose or crooked. IF you find that CPU temps rise rapidly, consider removing the CPU heatsink, carefully cleaning off all the old thermal paste, replacing with new paste and re-installing the heatsink.
m
l
June 18, 2010 3:25:59 PM

Something was very weird with this whole case set-up. There was nothing wrong with the ram or CPU temperature. I know this because I just set it up in the exact same way in my old Triton case. Everything works fine, including my Zalman PSU. My CPU is between 35-40 degrees Celsius which is normal. In any case, I gave up on that monstrosity and sent it back to newegg for a full refund. I had also tried to unplug all of the case fans in the coolermaster to no avail. It seriously is a mystery.

Now, I have to deal with an entirely new issue-Crappy nvidia drivers. Keep in mind, I've had plenty of issues with the ATi's 5000 series too. Vertical lines issue with 5670 512mb. RMAed. I then sold a 5850 to somebody online who started getting vertical lines issues in his games! Back to nvidia, I Reformatted and installed a clean copy of Windows vista premium 64 with the latest drivers. Played for one day fine, and then started getting blurry lines in everything. When scrolling in my web browser and in games. I reverted back to summer 2009 nvidia drivers, and it works like a charm.

So, on to the nvidia forums to report my issue. Wish me luck!

And, yes. My system would post on the odd time that it did start up.
m
l
!