I need help! Possibly buying today!

GatewaySkeptic

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hello.
First, thanks a bunch for taking the time to help me out if you do so.

Okay, so my question concerns the Gateway DX4831-07 PT.GAJ02.027 Desktop Gaming PC. (Specs below)
I've been looking around for a while for a good prebuilt gaming rig, but I can't bring myself to buy from Cyberpower or Ibuypower because of atrocious customer support stories. And yes, I know building yourself is the way to go costwise, but I have neither the time or experience to do so. So I found this little Gateway rig on Tigerdirect.com. I known 8gb RAM looks good at face value, but I don't know all about the technical "sub-parts" of the hardware. I also know that the 5770 isn't the best card in existence but I'm willing to go with it if I can do the following on this machine,

Run games like Fallout 3, The Witcher, Crysis, Modern Warfare 2, etc. on highest settings on 21.5" monitor 1920x1080 I think (Dont really need AA I suppose.)
So my question is, with the rig specs that I'm about to copy+paste, will I be able to run the above games at around 30-40FPS?

-RAM SPECS-
Memory Size: 4 x 2048MB
Total Memory: 8.0GB
Memory Speed: DDR3 1333 (PC-10600)

-GPU SPECS-
Graphics Description: PCI-Express x16 Graphics Card
GPU/VPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics
Video Memory: 1GB dedicated

-CPU SPECS-
Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Class: Core i5
Processor Number: 750
Processor Speed: 2.66GHz
Processor Interface: LGA 1156

Here's a link to its specs from Tiger Direct.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] etailspecs

I realize the site says its a 5750, but thats obviously a typo, as everyone who reviewed it said they got a 5770 practically.
So for the purposes of my question, assume that it's a 5770.

Also, do you think this rig will be outdated/playing games on low 2 years from now?
Anything prebuilt thats better than this for around 900 bucks? (That wont be DOA)

Thanks so much!

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Yea, you'll get that advice.. But i understand your predicament so i'll do my best to help haha...

The system looks good, it's got a processor that a LOT of builders recommend, and the 5770 is a great card. I can't say that it will last you for 4 years, but It will play fallout 3 and such very easily (I run a MOBILE 9800M GS, and i can play it on highest res, 4x AA, so a 5770 will absolutely molest that game, as will the processor)

The 8GB of ram is good, but as a gamer i would consider anything over 4 overkill, but hell i guess it's nice to have.

Most peoples first thoughts here would be "I could build the same cheaper", but you have a special situation and honestly I think you would be OK going with that computer. Gateway is pretty good, as far as I know.

Also yes, make sure that it REALLY is a 5770. If it's not, then i'm not so sure about the compy...

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
The "Prebuilt" subforum is a new (within the last couple of days?) sub-forum of what used to be the Homebuilt and New Build sub-forums, so most of the answers are going to come from regulars there. Because of that, you are likely to get many posts telling you to build it yourself. You certainly don't have to, and you can take the recommendations given and attempt to apply them to a pre-built, but it's not always going to fit quite right. The reason regulars on this forum aren't interested in pre-built computers is because typically those businesses cut corners on some of the less-visible parts, such as the power supply, RAM, and hard drives. This doesn't make them bad people, but it does mean that the parts may not be as good as if you bought them yourself and built the computer on your own.

8 GB of RAM is overkill for gaming. 4 GB is enough.

The i5-750 is an excellent gaming CPU.

The 5770 can start to struggle at 1920x1080, and I don't think it will play new games all that well in 2 years. That would be the primary concern, though obviously graphics cards are relatively easy to replace if they start to fall behind the curve.

Here are a couple of reviews with benchmarks. Fallout 3 seems to be fine, but I'd be concerned about Crysis.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-4.html

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/20

I'd say that the build is ok for the price, but I wouldn't expect it to be able to handle new games at 1920x1080 & max details for very long (it may barely be able to handle current titles).

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
If you're not going to build your own and this DOES come with a 5770, then I'd say go for it....

People here are saying the card wont do well in a year or two, well surely you can replace the card with a better if need be lol.

Go for it.....

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

GatewaySkeptic

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks guys. I decided to hold off until I have a few hundred extra and purchase one with perhaps a 5850 or something of the sort.
So look forward to me asking about prebuilds in the near future. :p