First HD slot connector broke, computer won't boot from other slots

slachtbeest

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Hello, I am trying to boot up my computer but I keep being sent to the "please select boot device" menu. The connector piece for the first HD slot broke so I put my HD in the second slot. It is still sending me to this menu. I switched the connector on the motherboard to another slot also, but I'm not sure which goes where honestly. The hard drive is being read by my computer but for some reason it wont boot.

its not new, It has windows 7 on it. I recently had my graphics card RMA'ed so I went to open it up and put it in and found out that a piece had broken on my hard drive slots.

I saw something about setting master slave but I have no idea what that is.

slachtbeest

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Ok, so my computer started up for some reason finally. I just hit ESC and said do not save any changes and it booted up my computer just fine, everything works great. The only problem is now every time i restart my computer it sends me to the bios screen asking me to select a boot up option. I guess I'll just have to keep hitting ESC and such forever unless someone can help me fix it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, I'm betting your HDD's are SATA units, not older IDE. So there is NO Master or Slave to set. Do NOT change any jumper on the back edge of your HDD.

When you go into BIOS, take note of what port it says the HDD is detected on - something like SAT2 maybe. The problem is likely because you had to connect the HDD to a different mobo port, but the BIOS is still set to boot from the old port. In the BIOS, look across the top of the screen for several tabs, and find the one about boot options. Go there and find the place where you set the Boot Priority Sequence. Most people would set this up to try their optical drive first, and to try the HDD second. The selection screen will offer you a few choices of devices to set for the second boot device. Make sure you set it for the HDD on the NEW port where it really is connected. There should not be any mention of using the old port that no longer has a drive. Save and Exit from there, and your machine should start to boot smoothly from your relocated HDD.

TRENDING THREADS