So how much did Canon pay for the review?

Ruthless

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2002
It kills me every time I read a printer review on Toms. Let me make my point quickly. Canon I-850 prints "equal to Epson Stylus Photo 830 5760-dpi prints: the dots are less visible but the prints are a bit too pale. " Yet it score 5 out of 5 hammers while the Epson scores 4 out of 5? Even though "under the magnifying glass you can still see the dots on the Canons whereas they are much less conspicuous on the Epson"

??????????????????

Of course this can all be explained by:

"NB: the photo rating of 4/ 5 is mainly due to the quality of printing in high definition, but also to speed. Because it is so slow - 3 to 8 minutes for a 10x15 print - it loses marks."

So why have a speed rating?

I wouldn't bother me so much if the tests were more scientific and Canon won out, but they're not.

The Epson 830 is $ .01 more per color page than the Canon
S330, black and white is the same and the printer price is the same. Yet the Epson rated 2 out of 5 and the Canon rated 3 out of 5 in cost. The HP also rate 2 out of 5 just like the Epson 830, even though it's prints were $.08(black) and $.16 (color) more per page!

PS. Guess who makes the hottest mini digital camera?

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Those ratings don't make too much sense to me either, but I never pay much attention to the hammers unless it scores a 1. I just read the reviews. I think that the reviews are pretty accurate... I just don't know how they translate them to the summaries with the hammers. Maybe they do the summaries the next day based on how they felt.

I have never had an Epson, but I do love my Canon i850. I bought it based on several other reviews on the net which were all very high.

I am sure that Canon doesn't pay THG for their reviews. Their printers are good enough on their own. I just fear that people will dislike Canon because of the reviews that THG gives. If THG plays favorites, it isn't Canon's fault. Just read other reviews and ignore THG if you want.