UnitedExpress4180

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Currently in the process of building a computer, mostly to run FSX on, but I'm not sure which processor to get. I'm not looking for whatever's more futureproof (because I know NOTHING is futureproof), just whatever will run FSX the best. i5 750 is a quad core (no hyperthreading) @ 2.66 Ghz, while the i7-860 is a quad (has hyperthreading) at 2.8Ghz. Let's say the i5 is overclocked to 2.8Ghz, will it run FSX as fast as the i7 would? I've heard that the i7's hyperthreading wouldn't do anything for FSX, as FSX can't utilize it. So which is best?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
FSX can and does use hyperthreading.Both of those CPU's will however run FSX well.The best and most common CPU's to use for FSX are the Core i7 920 or newer 930 model or the other higher end models up to the beefiest,best (and costliest)one of them all which would be the Core i7 980X.
Forum user Computronix is the expert about FSX on these forums.If you do a search (with his username) you will find his posts here.
Here is one link (where I linked a couple of his posts)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285919-28-computer-hunt

on this post forum user arthurh posted a nice link to a company which makes and sells FSX systems that shows the relative performances of components.
It seems to be fairly accurate although not comprehensive of many components.
It would have been nice to have more CPU's listed etc.

It does make a difference in FSX. I'd get the 860.

For almost any other game, I agree that it makes little difference, but FSX is one of the rare exceptions.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
If you have already bought a LGA 1156 board I agree with cjl above.The 860 will be superior in performance.FSX utilizes extra threads and cores.However the i5 750 does make a great budget FSX build.

TRENDING THREADS