dklittle

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hello,

Firstly, is it possible to create restore points that do not get automatically deleted?

I would like to create one restore point that is basically a blank slate, right after installing Windows 7, and I would like a second restore point that is after installing my usual applications.

Secondly, any suggestions on configuring the regularly created restore points?

Thirdly, are there any issues with going back and forth between restore points?

Thanks

Solution
Restore points get erased automatically. If you want snapshots of your system, just image the drive after installing windows and again after installing your programs.

Just let windows create automatic restore points. It does a fine job on it's own. You may want to decrease the amount of disk space they can use though.

If you do a system restore to a time before you installed a program, it may not function properly as the registry will be restored to a point before you installed the program. In this case, you may have to reinstall the program.

Only use system restore when absolutely needed.
Restore points get erased automatically. If you want snapshots of your system, just image the drive after installing windows and again after installing your programs.

Just let windows create automatic restore points. It does a fine job on it's own. You may want to decrease the amount of disk space they can use though.

If you do a system restore to a time before you installed a program, it may not function properly as the registry will be restored to a point before you installed the program. In this case, you may have to reinstall the program.

Only use system restore when absolutely needed.

Solution